New subs versus my 3 mtx 8000 12 ohm subs

qwiketz
10+ year member

Hi guys. I have a 2002 jaguar s type that I'm thinking of tossing some of my old gear in. I have 3 mtx 12" subs (in a sealed box) that are 12 ohm that I could toss in that car with an alpine 600 watt rms amp. Would I be okay using my existing my existing box or would I be better off replacing the three with a newer 12" sub that offers more excursion.

I've been out of the game for about 10 years so my equipment is a little dated, but I remember that the mtx's hit pretty darn hard. My budget is about $150 for the woofer, so I was thinking of picking up a sub like a pioneer spl2000 or something similar that doesn't take up a ton of space and will hit pretty good with my limited power. Any other brand suggestions are appreciated!

BTW, I'm new to the forum and there's tons of great info. It's just gonna take some time for me to learn all the stuff I missed in the last 10 years!

keep your subs, what you need is a new amplifier

you're lacking excursion, because your lacking power. i dont know what the final impedance load you are running either. If you have them running in series, your amp is probably only producing 50 watts lol...

you may have to run just two of your mtx's to have a stable load for the amplifier. What is the model of amp? For future reference, a 600 watt amp should be good for -ONE- of those subs.

I still have my old school 10" 7000's. They hit 139.5dbs back in the day (1997). Keep the subs, I'm not going to tell you top run 600 on each but they should be happy at around1200-1300rms for the 3.

I assume you have three of the 4ohm version MTX 8000's and have them wired to 12 ohms? If so, you can wire them down to 1.33ohms as well, which is much easier finding an amp that can do 1,000 watts or so at 1ohm for fairly cheap.

What would your budget be if you wanted to get a new amp?

I remember that setup from MTX years ago, kind of like the DVC6 setup that JL use to offer on the flagship model W6s.

I say before you replace your MTX, give them a listen. But, you also have to remember that alot has changed in the last 10 years or so, what was loud to you then may not be the same to your ears now.

Personally, id install the current setup and see if I liked it or not before investing in new equiptment. Just some food for though...

keep your subs, what you need is a new amplifieryou're lacking excursion, because your lacking power. i dont know what the final impedance load you are running either. If you have them running in series, your amp is probably only producing 50 watts lol...

you may have to run just two of your mtx's to have a stable load for the amplifier. What is the model of amp? For future reference, a 600 watt amp should be good for -ONE- of those subs.
Not always true. Enclosure, and sub make up also have to do with this.

Also 3 12ohm subs like you said OP is 4ohm paralleled. I know they are expensive but a JL 1000/1 bay be a good choice because of how they do power, but JBL crown amps and phenix gold also do something like that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.