New Sub question

Matt040

Hi all,

I have had a Pioneer GM-5300T 2 channel amp (Pioneer GM-5300T 2-channel car amplifier 125 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com) and a Kenwood KFC-W3011 (Kenwood KFC-W3011 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) for the past 3 years working flawlessly until today when the sub started smelling bad and stopped working. I tested the amp with different speakers and it works fine. I tested the sub with another amp and it is cracking and cutting out so I am assuming it is shot. I'm looking for a new sub but am unsure of what to get. I was told to keep the RMS of the sub lower than that of the amp but I can't seem to find any good quality subs in the 350W range as my amp is 380 watts bridged at 4 ohms. Would buying another 400W sub be okay or should I get a 300W sub? Keep in mind this amp is 3 years old so it may not be outputting the full 380 watts anymore.

Hi all,
I have had a Pioneer GM-5300T 2 channel amp (Pioneer GM-5300T 2-channel car amplifier 125 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com) and a Kenwood KFC-W3011 (Kenwood KFC-W3011 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) for the past 3 years working flawlessly until today when the sub started smelling bad and stopped working. I tested the amp with different speakers and it works fine. I tested the sub with another amp and it is cracking and cutting out so I am assuming it is shot. I'm looking for a new sub but am unsure of what to get. I was told to keep the RMS of the sub lower than that of the amp but I can't seem to find any good quality subs in the 350W range as my amp is 380 watts bridged at 4 ohms. Would buying another 400W sub be okay or should I get a 300W sub? Keep in mind this amp is 3 years old so it may not be outputting the full 380 watts anymore.
Just get a single 4 ohm 400 watt sub
Yeah that'll be fine. What kind of box do you have and what kind of bass do you like?

Yeah that'll be fine. What kind of box do you have and what kind of bass do you like?
It's a 1.5 cubic ft. ported box this is the exact one (Q-Logic 12S150SV Type 2 ported single 12" hatchback box at Crutchfield.com)

I like listening to EDM and hard rock so I really like the bass to be loud and punchy. I'm not too concerned with the accuracy of the bass. Can you give me a recommendation of a sub? I don't mind spending up to like 160 for a good sub

[quote name='Matt040']It's a 1.5 cubic ft. ported box this is the exact one (Q-Logic 12S150SV Type 2 ported single 12" hatchback box at Crutchfield.com)
I like listening to EDM and hard rock so I really like the bass to be loud and punchy. I'm not too concerned with the accuracy of the bass. Can you give me a recommendation of a sub? I don't mind spending up to like 160 for a good sub[/QUOTE]

[quote name='garychoffmann']Dayton HO for that box being on the smaller side[/QUOTE]

Yeah, or you could do it the best way and build a baffle to go on that box, and then buy a 10 to go in it. That's barely enough airspace, and after you account for the subs space you don't have enough. You could get a ring that will go over the 12 inch hole and it has a 10 inch hole in it and it would be better. You could use a Sundown E10, Soundqubed HDS210, or DD redline series. Also, mylows can help you with your setup, and @CSCStang can build the ring. Just take a razor and cut the carpet around the ring and glue it.

I was thinking would it be better to scrap the 12" sub idea and just build a box for two 10" subs and run them on separate channels of the amp so 190 watts at 2 ohms per channel?

I was thinking would it be better to scrap the 12" sub idea and just build a box for two 10" subs and run them on separate channels of the amp so 190 watts at 2 ohms per channel?
You don't need to run them on separate channels. You'll still want to bridge the amp and run both subs in mono, not stereo. At these power levels, you're better off with a single 12" around 400w. You should, if you can, build a box for it. You'll be able to get some power output from it if done right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.