New SI Mag

LOL! I know the feeling. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Price is going to stay exactly the same if I can help it.
And a special CA.com price... if you can help it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol

So, I am assuming that the new Mag will once again be a double stack, but thats about the only thing in common with the current Mag, from what Nick has told me anyway. All I know os that this new Mag should sound amazing, and should hit some nice SPLs for people whose primary concern is SQ.

Anything discussed so far about the Mag is pending testing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Nick and myself will both be testing the prototypes until we are SURE that the final design meets all of our expectations for what the Mag should be.

There are a lot of different ways that I can take the Mag, and almost all of them will increase the weight by a considerable margin. The one I'm leaning towards will actually decrease the weight of the driver, keep enclosure sizes smaller, and the driver will play just as loud, go just as low, handle the same power, all with lower distortion and lower inductance.
What do you guys think?

Deeper, heavier, bigger boxes, same performance?

Or

Same depth, lighter, smaller boxes, same performance?

The targeted enclosure volume I'm looking at is an even 1 cubic foot sealed and 1.8 cubes ported. (keep in mind this driver will perform just like our current driver - if not better - but with smaller enclosures and less weight to lug around)

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
Bringing down size requirements may cause me to use 2 instead on one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The only thing i didn't like about my current Mag was the uber-high F3 in the recc. sealed box size. The low Qtc didn't make up for it and I was starving for better lows. Hope this next one addresses that, for the true SQ heads..

The only thing i didn't like about my current Mag was the uber-high F3 in the recc. sealed box size. The low Qtc didn't make up for it and I was starving for better lows. Hope this next one addresses that, for the true SQ heads..
Wait... do you mean the current generation Mag or the OLD Mag?

The current gen Mag has excellent low-end when placed into a car, sealed. I think that perhaps you were looking for an exaggerated low-end, I've metered them in several cars flat to 20Hz or so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wait... do you mean the current generation Mag or the OLD Mag?
The current gen Mag has excellent low-end when placed into a car, sealed. I think that perhaps you were looking for an exaggerated low-end, I've metered them in several cars flat to 20Hz or so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
The current gen. Nope I wasn't looking for anything exaggerated, its just that the punchy bass was overwhelming compared to the lows, the opposite of flat. I don't know what car you managed to get flat to 20hz with the Mag, but mine wasn't close.. I've had two other subs (Oz ME, TC12) in that car in the same exact install (same box, same amp) and they both managed to sound flatter than the Mag. Its no coincidence either, what my ears heard correlate exactly to what was modeled (53hz F3 w/ .5ish Qtc for Mag, 42hz F3 w/ .8ish Qtc for Oz ME, 31hz F3 w/ .7ish Qtc for TC12.) The Mag isn't bad sealed, its just obvious its geared more towards ported alignments.

Don't get me wrong, I really did like the Mag... It got louder than the other two and tonally, it was basically perfect. I really would love to hear what you claim with my own ears though, must have had some tremendous cabin gain.

The current gen. Nope I wasn't looking for anything exaggerated, its just that the punchy bass was overwhelming compared to the lows, the opposite of flat. I don't know what car you managed to get flat to 20hz with the Mag, but mine wasn't close.. I've had two other subs (Oz ME, TC12) in that car in the same exact install (same box, same amp) and they both managed to sound flatter than the Mag. Its no coincidence either, what my ears heard correlate exactly to what was modeled (53hz F3 w/ .5ish Qtc for Mag, 42hz F3 w/ .8ish Qtc for Oz ME, 31hz F3 w/ .7ish Qtc for TC12.) The Mag isn't bad sealed, its just obvious its geared more towards ported alignments.
Don't get me wrong, I really did like the Mag... It got louder than the other two and tonally, it was basically perfect. I really would love to hear what you claim with my own ears though, must have had some tremendous cabin gain.
The vehicles we have tested the new Mag's in locally include the following:

Del Sol, Integra, Civic, CRX, Suburban, BMW 325i, Chevy ext cab pickup, Suburban, Aveo, and probably a few others that I can't think of right now. All of them have included sealed testing and all of them but the Del Sol and CRX had flat curves down to 20 Hz even if not lower (the Suburban is a low-end monster). This is, of course, a metered response. Now a driver with a low 30 Hz F3 is going to have an over-exaggerated bottom end in almost any vehicle. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing if that's what you like, but that F3 is more for home use...in a very large room.

However, the current Mag is happy when ported, but it also fairs well when sealed. I'm not saying that what we've tested suits your listening preferences, because everyone likes something different. But what I'm saying is that all but two vehicles that we've tested the Mag in have yielded flat responses down to 20 Hz. Now...with the human ear's non-linearities taken into consideration, no, it's not flat to 20 Hz because our ears need more boost down low at lower volume levels to make it appear as loud. And while I'm thinking about it, 20 Hz never sounds as loud as 30 or 40 Hz unless it's actually a smidge louder.

Our first generation Mags though...those weren't flat to 20 Hz in any vehicle that we tested. It came close in a few vehicles, but never hit 20 Hz on the nose.

Believe me, I am right there with you on smaller enclsoures. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old Vegas but, not every one has 3.5 cubes to give up for a 12" sub. So I am voting for the smaller enclosure design. You know this by now, with the market reach of DIY installs expanding, the push for shallow mount or small box speakers are growing, and probably out numbers the DIY'ers like us who are not that worried about cargo room in search of the best sound.
Some of us are trying to find a good balance between the two.

I am all for the smallest box possible.

I have no issue giving up 1.8 or 2.2 gross (or whatever it turns out to be)

I am sure its reviews will be more than praising.

It's hard to drop $X00 on a sub though....and that is my biggest issue.

edit: don't know the presale price last time

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Brassler07

10+ year member
Ten-A-Key All$tar
Brassler07
Tennessee
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date