New SI Mag

10" is a tough size. There is an attraction to 8's to get the most out of them, 12s are always a solid seller, then the larger sizes 15's, 18's and up are becoming more and more popular. The money spent on baskets and cones and surrounds on 10's are not always the best bet.

You lost me when you mentioned acceleration //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If a speaker is to produce 30 Hz, it must accelerate the same as any other speaker producing 30 hz.
Over 250 grams isn't controlled? I suggest avoiding generalized statements. I guess someone forgot to tell the 05' 12" XXX that, as it has about 400 grams of moving mass and is pretty controlled.

You must also remember that "efficiency" doesn't work all that well on subwoofers to describe their output for their intended purpose. If you raise Mms, what happens? You lose "sensitivity" but the low-end response increases. For instance, I drew up two designs for a very similar woofer, one has 3dB less sensitivity but has MORE output under 50 Hz, in a smaller box, at any power level.

I'd also like to know how lowering inductance, with no other changes, would hurt SQ. What you want is a more constant inductance... a flatter curve. Now, if you decrease inductance and have a curve with more variance, then yes, it will sound "worse" than before. You can't just use inductance as a static value to describe all that much. What Nick is doing is lowering the static value AND flattening the curve.

Anyhow... Nick does know a thing or two about woofer design, he fully understands Hoffmans law, and has been doing this for a while. Make no mistake, the new Mag will be better in every important category whatever route he goes with it.
Keep in mind, I'm 99% sure that the poster you responded to is the one we know as bassfreak/extreambass on various forums. His posts almost always support the "distortion can't be heard, DD is the best" side of things.

But on the topic of acceleration, how does a speaker with less moving mass or more force end up creating more SPL?

Keep in mind, I'm 99% sure that the poster you responded to is the one we know as bassfreak/extreambass on various forums. His posts almost always support the "distortion can't be heard, DD is the best" side of things.
That makes sense.

I'd just like to see SI come out with an 8" of some sort (obviously not in the Mag line, but maybe a BM?). I know Sundown is working around with a prototype, but the more the merrier.

An 8" Mag more than likely isn't going to happen. We've never had anyone even ask for something along those lines. Now an 8" BM on the other hand...
thus the "obviously not in the Mag line" part of my post, lol. I would assume that the Mag coil would be too wide for a properly built 8". Not to mention the motor would almost be as wide as the sub.

An 8" Mag more than likely isn't going to happen. We've never had anyone even ask for something along those lines. Now an 8" BM on the other hand...
i'd buy an 8" mag //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

thus the "obviously not in the Mag line" part of my post, lol. I would assume that the Mag coil would be too wide for a properly built 8". Not to mention the motor would almost be as wide as the sub.
Haha, I saw that part of your post. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It can be done...it just wouldn't sell. I don't like discounting ideas totally, as anything is possible (or at least thats the mind set I like to have - because any other mind set just allows defeat before attempts are made).

For now I'm focusing on the 12" for the prototype and I'll go from there. A 12" and 15" model will happen though.

I think a 10" Mag and 8" BM would be great for the new series of both, get more of the market covered. There are definitely people who like to work with 10s to see what they can get out of them. I wouldn't mind seeing an 18" Mag as well as it would be the ultimate SQL driver, but I would still stick to 12s. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Haha, I saw that part of your post. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It can be done...it just wouldn't sell. I don't like discounting ideas totally, as anything is possible (or at least thats the mind set I like to have - because any other mind set just allows defeat before attempts are made).
For now I'm focusing on the 12" for the prototype and I'll go from there. A 12" and 15" model will happen though.
Yeah man, if you could manage it, I'd be down. I think I'd like a D4 BM 8" better anyway though. Something to compete with the RL-i.

Yeah man, if you could manage it, I'd be down. I think I'd like a D4 BM 8" better anyway though. Something to compete with the RL-i.
Compete with? You mean destroy right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Brassler07

10+ year member
Ten-A-Key All$tar
Brassler07
Tennessee
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date