New SI Mag

Nick and Jake are still working on getting satisfactory prototypes. They will not put out a new sub if it does not beat the current Mag in every way, output and SQ. Jake said recently that there is a new design on the drawing board that would drastically increase the size of the Mag, probably bring it in line with something like the HD3 is my guess, but who knows what those guys are up to. Just be sure that when it is done, it will set new levels of SQ and SPL, and will turn many heads.

There were a few leaked out of a "prototype candidate" a while back with a triple stack magnet. We simply weren't satisfied with that one at all.

Several designs are being tossed around for the new Mag... all of which will offer increase excursion and lowered distortion. My favorite of them would add about 15 pounds of weight compared to the current Mag //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I can't say anything about it as we aren't sure which design will really come to the front of the pack once we start testing, trying to determine which one that we feel really takes the Mag to the next level.

There are a lot of different ways that I can take the Mag, and almost all of them will increase the weight by a considerable margin. The one I'm leaning towards will actually decrease the weight of the driver, keep enclosure sizes smaller, and the driver will play just as loud, go just as low, handle the same power, all with lower distortion and lower inductance.

What do you guys think?

Deeper, heavier, bigger boxes, same performance?

Or

Same depth, lighter, smaller boxes, same performance?

The targeted enclosure volume I'm looking at is an even 1 cubic foot sealed and 1.8 cubes ported. (keep in mind this driver will perform just like our current driver - if not better - but with smaller enclosures and less weight to lug around)

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Nick, I think there is the factor of some people think that bigger means better. I would venture to say that TC sold a great deal of subs based largely on that fact alone. How much the higher cost of the larger use of materials to make the larger version will change the cost to the end customer? That I don't know. But knowing you, you will build the sub you want and feel is best, so I have a feeling the smaller box design will win out.

I know that some people think that bigger subs = better. The new Mag will weigh about the same as the current model, but it will work in smaller enclosures and it will also have a completely different look. And to be honest, 99.99% of Mag owners have probably never driven the driver past 2" of throw while in an enclosure by accident. If they go over 2" of throw, it's usually on purpose for visual satisfaction only. Right now I don't see the need to make the driver incredibly deep when it will do very very little for the people who are going to buy a Mag. Buying a Mag is buying the ultimate SQL driver out there, not about weight or depth.

And yes, there are lot of companies that have sold on looks alone, but if you could look at TC's sales sheets I'll bet you'll find a lot more middle-weight and small-subwoofer sales compared to the big 90 lb LMS's.

I don't see any need to make the Mag considerably bigger and heavier when I can design it to perform the exact same way it does now, while working in smaller enclosures, sounding better, and handling the same amount of power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Brassler07

10+ year member
Ten-A-Key All$tar
Brassler07
Tennessee
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date