new *pop* in sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

presb2k
10+ year member

I installed a PA2 equalizer today and now my sub gives a nasty static then popping noise whenever I turn it on. The system never gave any sound like this before. (aside that, the EQ kicks ass- all the control!)

I grounded the EQ to the seat, spliced into the amp remote, spliced into the 4awg power cable. What can I do to fix this? My dist block and power cables are en route for my 4 channel amp and Im thinking the speakers are going to do the same when theyre hooked up to the amp, which will be spliced to the same turn on wire.

What would cause this? Any reasons and fixes would be most appreciated.

Sure enough, the 4 channel gives a nice static introduction. I was told by a local installed that my EQ is turning on before the amps and that was causing the noise. He suggested I run the amps to the accessory wire, which is yellow/red in my 98 civic (right?), and the EQ to the amp turn on. Can anyone else confirm this?

On a side note, I have to say the EQ makes a hella difference. I can finally use my blackberry as an mp3 player!

Dude the same thing is hapening to me exept that the pop comes when I shut my system down. I'm pissed the eq works so good but the pop is freaking me out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I should include that today I set all the gains properly(as I understand it); 75% at the h/u and EQ. Gain is all the way down on the front stage and about 10% on the sub amp. It made a huge difference in SQ but none with the issue at hand...

bump

I came across an informative article in the meantime which addresses several types of undesirable noise: Noise Prevention

Ive tried to ground the EQ to a few different locations, once to the same spot as the amp ground which made it worse.

I just ordered a turn-on delay. tj_hooker- this guy has a turn-off eliminator also:

David Navone - Pop Eliminators - Car Audio Engineering

Ill post with results when it gets here.

its a grounding issue ether way weather you do it off the accessory or the turn on you will get the "pop" ether with key on or shut down but eather way you have a shitty ground somewhere

bump
I came across an informative article in the meantime which addresses several types of undesirable noise: Noise Prevention

Ive tried to ground the EQ to a few different locations, once to the same spot as the amp ground which made it worse.

I just ordered a turn-on delay. tj_hooker- this guy has a turn-off eliminator also:

David Navone - Pop Eliminators - Car Audio Engineering

Ill post with results when it gets here.
please let me know how it works, I was able to eliminate the pop if I turned my HU and eq volume completely off, but I forgot on time and it blew my the front mids, now they make a awful fart noise.....

thank god for warranty....

its a grounding issue ether way weather you do it off the accessory or the turn on you will get the "pop" ether with key on or shut down but eather way you have a shitty ground somewhere
I grounded off to the same ground that my HU is on, and If I unplug the EQ my HU doesn't make the pop when I turn it off? so why wouldn't that ground be ok?

Sorry for the time lapse- its easy to just click your heels and move on to the next thing. The turn on delay module definitely does the job. Under these circumstances, the problem is NOT a ground issue as many around this forum and others have suggested.

"This thump is caused by the audio circuitry stabilizing when power is applied. Most amplifiers and source units have muting circuitry that lasts a couple of seconds to allow these fluctuations to subside before passing a signal. However, if the amplifier un-mutes before the source unit or any other accessory, you better watch out. Here are some things to try if you have turn on thump." - taken from the noise prevention site linked earlier.

If youre not 100% sure that the delay between the amp(s) and eq is 2.5 seconds or less, cough up the extra 8 bucks and get the N-66a (adjustable from 0 to 30 seconds). Hope this helps someone- I definitely spent a lot of time trying to research my way to the fix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.