New install, alternator noise :(

rabidcrow

OK, so I've had my Pioneer DEH-P690UB running all six pre-amp outs to a four channel and two channel amplifiers. Everything worked awesome, no noise.

I recently picked up a 5-channel MA audio M1680I, and decided to move my Optima battery to the trunk during the install. I ran a lenghth of 4ga from the front to rear and hooked it up via a distrubution block to all postivies in the front of the car. I then grounded all negitive connections up front to a clean ground on the frame. The battery is grounded in the back via a 0ga cable right to the frame. The car starts, runs, and charges just fine.

I powered the new amp, both positive and negative right off the battery. I now get such bad popping, squeeling, and alternator noise that I can't even turn the amp on. I've tried different RCAs, grounding paths, grounding the rcas at the HU, no change.

If I power the HU directly off a 12v transformor, (one that plugs into the wall) and leave everything else the same, all noise is gone. Like, all of it. I tried powering the HU directly off the battery, and the noise was 5x worse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Is my HU fried or what? I know Pioneers can be touchy with the pico fuses on the board frying, but grounding the rca's at the HU ellimanates this right? What can I do to get clean power to the HU? Small cap in line or what? I need ideas... Thanks all

Does it matter that my ground strap is on the side battery post, and my 4ga power going to the front is on the top post? The amp uses both top posts to. The frame ground is the only thing on the side post...

I think he's talking about relocating the battery. I've never heard of someone doing that with a full stereo system in the trunk. Usually people do that when they want a better front/rear weight distribution in conjunction with reducing sprung and unsprung weight.

really, you have never heard of anyone putting a second battery in the trunk to power their system,

take a look at my sig.

only know about it for weigh distribution. i think your on the wrong forum son.

but regardless, putting a battery or battery bank in the trunk with a high power system is common practice.

sounds like you havent gotten into the 2k+watts range yet.

You completely misunderstood me. What I'm talking about, and what the thread starter wrote about, is moving the battery to the trunk, not adding a battery.

by pass your HU and hook up a ipod or what ever directly to your amp using a rca to headphone jack. this will tell you if its your head unit or not.

I would put everything back to original way first. See if the noise is gone.

Then just start a piece at a time. Did I misunderstand and you posted that you used a distro block to hook up the battery?

If so, try running the 4ga directly to the battery, then off the battery to your amps. If this is what you did, then disregard.

Just do one section at a time. Stock / add second battery but keep system powered up front / then hook up system to back battery one amp at a time. Just go slow and I am sure you will find out what part of the system is giving you an issue.

You completely misunderstood me. What I'm talking about, and what the thread starter wrote about, is moving the battery to the trunk, not adding a battery.
I wanted to be sure what he was talking about. by him saying moved the yellow top to the trunk he could nav eaisly put the stock batt back up front. I just wanted to know exactly what he was talking about and not be guessing at it.

You could have taken a less hostile approach to your response. We're all here to help and learn.
You-Mad-bro.jpg

Just to clarify I did move the battery from the front to the rear, I didn't add a second battery. I did this to uncluter the engine bay and make room for a new intake, and I like to tinker, so what the hell?

by pass your HU and hook up a ipod or what ever directly to your amp using a rca to headphone jack. this will tell you if its your head unit or not.
I will try this but I can imagine I wont get any noise. If I unplug the RCA's at the HU all noise is gone, and if I power the HU off an auxiliary 12v source (not tied into the cars electrical) I get no noise.

I read somewhere if you isolate the power and ground of the HU and run directly off the battery, it will help with noise. When I tried this it was the same if not worse. I'm thinking more and more my Pioneer took a dump on me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

rabidcrow

rabidcrow
twin cities, mn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
BlactimusCrime