Installing Huead Unit w/o Wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list
In our 1977 box van there is no wiring in place for a factory head unit, so I ran some light guage power and ground wire from the battery to the head unit location. What other wires do I need to run and where do I connect them? Ive got the whole system mapped out, but the lack of ANY stock wiring is throwing a wrench in things.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

You need the yellow wire from the deck going straight to the battery. Ground going to ground. Red going to a switched power source. You can pick up an add-a-fuse for this and tap into some accessory that only has power with the key in the "ON" or "ACC" position. Other than that, it's just positive and negative speaker wires.

Awesome, thanks. I was a little confused by the ACC red wire. Do I need to put an inline fuse for the Yellow power wire? It looks like there is a fuse plugged into the back of the HU.

There's also an orange ILLM wire, does this need to be tapped as well? I'm not sure what would be illuminated since it all powers up upon turning the key.

As far as speaker wires, I'm running 4 separate amps, so it's all RCA's baby!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.