new idiot wiring subwoofers for first time - me!

Participant count
  • Participant list

jasonjm2021

CarAudio.com Newbie
ok so I used the google powers to try work out what i am doing. I inherited a box and an amp.

I have no clue how much space is in the box other than it fits 10 inch subs and its sealed.

I just ordered 2 x alpine Alpine R-W10D4 subs at 4 ohm coils - hopefully they are good subs, if they are not just lie to me and say it was an excellent choice.

anyways here is the confusion, the amp i got is something called a legion audio 700.1

it says if i wire it at 1 ohm it will do 700 watts, but it looks like a very small amp to me. will it explode in a fireball? sound like junk? sound awesome?

anyways attached is how i plan to wire this thing, hopefully the diagram is right even if none of my choices or equipment were right.

Attachments

• 2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif
    2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 114
Type Rs used to be one of the most popular subwoofers on this forum years ago.

The amp will work fine but the subwoofers will be extremely underpowered. I have had many amps from FSD/AL. They are decent.

Type Rs used to be one of the most popular subwoofers on this forum years ago.

The amp will work fine but the subwoofers will be extremely underpowered. I have had many amps from FSD/AL. They are decent.

whaaaa? 700 watts sounds like a lot? ok lets assume i wire this correctly, and it does sound underpowered, what amp should i replace the other amp with? thx

whaaaa? 700 watts sounds like a lot? ok lets assume i wire this correctly, and it does sound underpowered, what amp should i replace the other amp with? thx

The subwoofers are rated 750 watts rms EACH. That amp does 700 watts rms on a test bench. If you have the electrical upgrades to support a larger amp I personally would look into a 2000-3000 watt rms amp.

dang...... am i better off just wiring up one sub? with the amp i have? and only running 1 sub? or running 2 subs underpowered?

also i have no clue what my electrical is i have a big truck, a ram 2500 dunno what that means for electrical.

Since they are D4s you would only have the option of wiring one to 2 ohms which would see like 350 watts. Would be better off with the two at 1 ohm and have two subwoofers on "350 watts" each.

Is it a diesel with dual batteries?

Since they are D4s you would only have the option of wiring one to 2 ohms which would see like 350 watts. Would be better off with the two at 1 ohm and have two subwoofers on "350 watts" each.

Is it a diesel with dual batteries?

ok I have confirmed i do not know what i am doing.

I have cancelled the order of the 2 alpine subs. now I will re-order.

what TWO 10 inch Subs, that are not deeper than 7 inches mounting depth, would be the best match for my current amp, 700 watts at 1 OHM? money not an issue, which two subs would be the best choice for the power I have, to get me the best sound quality and some loudness?

thanks

Meh, I like Type R for what they are, and while they should be pretty indestructible at 700W each it's not like you'd hurt them from running less power and 700W to the pair of 10s (even in a sealed box) is probably plenty for more reasonable folks.

Did you run into trouble with mounting depth or are you just looking for a more efficient woofer to match the power you have on tap?

As far as amps, Sundown SFB series is about the best bang for buck going at the moment, at least from a company that has a good reputation for honoring their 2 year warranty if anything goes wrong.

You can spend an awful lot of money on any of this stuff and you may or may not get any significant performance gains so long as you're spending enough to stay out of the junk drawer flea market brands. Most of the time if you start spending more you will at least buy something that'll hold better resale value anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.