New build and minor box build help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Do not mount amps to your box period.  There is no good way to do it.    Build an L shaped frame mount to the floor so that the amp(s) float away from the box if that's your only spot.
I literally don't have the room to mount them anywhere else. I'm not sure the floor will be much better. Wouldn't mdf be better to put to box than 2x4s? I already have the holes in box and hardware mounted. My only option is to keep them mounted there.  I know the ppl have 4inch thick boxes and mount amps to that without any vibration. (Exocontralto's builds n such) I figure mdf in the place of those 2x4s and maybe put 1 layer of rubber between box and mdf and then mdf and amp rack aught to reduce the vibration.

I literally don't have the room to mount them anywhere else. I'm not sure the floor will be much better. Wouldn't mdf be better to put to box than 2x4s? I already have the holes in box and hardware mounted. My only option is to keep them mounted there.  I know the ppl have 4inch thick boxes and mount amps to that without any vibration. (Exocontralto's builds n such) I figure mdf in the place of those 2x4s and maybe put 1 layer of rubber between box and mdf and then mdf and amp rack aught to reduce the vibration.
Do what you like and you may or may not get away with it for some period of time but mounting amp(s) to your box in any way shape or form is sketchy.

Do what you like and you may or may not get away with it for some period of time but mounting amp(s) to your box in any way shape or form is sketchy.
Merry Christmas.  I was doing some research and maybe 2 layers of mdf glued together then bolted to box might do the trick cut to roughly almost the size of the back of box. I'm  thinking more surface area will dissipate the vibration. Looked into mounting into Trunk and the trunk vibrates pretty bad. Imma try that first to box then gonna try the trunk mount if problem still persists.

Maybe move the 2x4's so they're under the area where the amp mounting feet are and add a 3rd in the center?.. then mount the amp isolated with rubber bushings like it is now. That ought to get rid of any flex you're having with the rack

As stated above... on the enclosure can cause failure eventually... I can attest to that.

The board walked 3/16" out of the heatsink on me.... and there was no easily apparent vibration... amp started playing a loud death note out of nowhere 

Had to change my drawers and get a new amp... ******

Merry Christmas.  I was doing some research and maybe 2 layers of mdf glued together then bolted to box might do the trick cut to roughly almost the size of the back of box. I'm  thinking more surface area will dissipate the vibration. Looked into mounting into Trunk and the trunk vibrates pretty bad. Imma try that first to box then gonna try the trunk mount if problem still persists.
Again, there really is no "good" way to mount an amp to a box.  Whatever you do just keep in mind it will lead to premature failure when compared with mounting elsewhere.  For a test put it all together, get it playing full tilt, then put your forehead on the amp and you will be able to notice how much it is actually vibrating.

Again, there really is no "good" way to mount an amp to a box.  Whatever you do just keep in mind it will lead to premature failure when compared with mounting elsewhere.  For a test put it all together, get it playing full tilt, then put your forehead on the amp and you will be able to notice how much it is actually vibrating.
yep, I've tried a couple different mounting styles to box and fml. None of them worked. So now back to the drawing board to mount them somehow still vertical but away from box. So very irritated. Probly shoulda glued 3 layers of mdf to back of box and then it'd be good I  bet with no vibration.

Okay so I  hope this works. I built the amp rack out of 2x4's stacked and glued then screw amp racks onto them and bolted down Amps with rubber boots. I have the L-brackets one on each side, bolted to frame of car with 3/8 threaded rods and additional bolts in holes. I also have two 4 inch wood bolts attaching the L-brackets two amp 2 on each side. So after this I  tested by as u said sticking my head to amo and vibrated the **** outta me. So I  figured I  needed perpendicular support to amp rack. Only option as seen in pick was eye bolt and rope tightened down and had to move fan (fan should be fine there as it'll move plenty of air and the a/c pipe is right behind it up high) I'm hoping that this fixes the issue. Any ideas if this doesn't work to reduce vibration? Maybe rubber between L-brackets and frame of car?? 

For future reference I  built this box at 5/8 thick mdf and braced like crazy. It vibrates but does not flex. It is to contain 3600watts rms. My nxt box for these subs will be in an suv with birch wood. How thick should I  go and what ply should I  get. Trying to keep weight down.

20181230_010802.jpg

20181230_010850.jpg

20181230_010901.jpg

20181230_010842.jpg

Probly shoulda glued 3 layers of mdf to back of box and then it'd be good I  bet with no vibration.
Again, there is no "good" way to mount an amp to a box period.  If you had that much room between the box and the rear of the trunk you should have built up an L shaped board mounted to the floor floating free from the box.   If you believe the sides aren't flexing but the box is vibrating you may consider bolting/securing the box to the car somehow.  Then you just get to the point where every bit of the car is vibrating and you're still getting undue wear.  

Okay so I  hope this works. I built the amp rack out of 2x4's stacked and glued then screw amp racks onto them and bolted down Amps with rubber boots. I have the L-brackets one on each side, bolted to frame of car with 3/8 threaded rods and additional bolts in holes. I also have two 4 inch wood bolts attaching the L-brackets two amp 2 on each side. So after this I  tested by as u said sticking my head to amo and vibrated the **** outta me. So I  figured I  needed perpendicular support to amp rack. Only option as seen in pick was eye bolt and rope tightened down and had to move fan (fan should be fine there as it'll move plenty of air and the a/c pipe is right behind it up high) I'm hoping that this fixes the issue. Any ideas if this doesn't work to reduce vibration? Maybe rubber between L-brackets and frame of car?? 

For future reference I  built this box at 5/8 thick mdf and braced like crazy. It vibrates but does not flex. It is to contain 3600watts rms. My nxt box for these subs will be in an suv with birch wood. How thick should I  go and what ply should I  get. Trying to keep weight down.
Vibration is flex and means the box isn't strong enough. It should be double layer 3/4 plywood all the way around. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibration is flex and means the box isn't strong enough. It should be double layer 3/4 plywood all the way around. 
So with birch I  should do two layers and then there willbe absolutely zero vibration? 

Gonna resin the inside as well. That'll be for my nxt car and box.  

For now I  still have vibration on amps and rack. Gonna try a piece of rubber between L-brackets and frame. The vibration is almost gone but not quite.

View attachment 3472

View attachment 3473

View attachment 3474

View attachment 3475
hispls this is the amp rack  of box and the current issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.