New Box design, may need some suggestions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

audiofanaticz
10+ year member

Team TMH
Long time since I been here, but I need some advice on a new install Im going to be working on. Right now Im thinking about doing everything in spring when this **** snow melts so I got some time.

My new install is going to consist of two 12 inch dual 4 ohm DD 9512's, with a DD Z1 amp. Thats the only thing I know so far on whats going into the car. The car is a 1990 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe 35 annerversory 3.8L V6 Super charged.

What I am wanting to do since I have fold down seats is have the box firing foward into the passenger area/cabin of the car. The trunk will be completly closed off from the cabin of the car. The box dimensions I have to work with is 38" w X 15" h X 40" d. The box will be made out of 1" thick MDF and braced internally. Comes out to about 9.5 cubic feet internal, not including port space, or bracing.

I drew a quick little pic in microsoft paint, but neither did I have the time or will to do a good job, plus Im lacking on them paint skills..

A couple questions I have after looking at this pic are:

~Should I give each sub its own encloser having a extra board dividing them down the middle with a vent for each sub, or should I run one big vent and have the subs share the box space?

~Which ever way I go what size should I make the vents?

~I wanted to notch out the back of the box so I had a place for mounting the amps and everything, will this notch in the box mess with the sound performance of the subs?

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=4675&size=big&password=c25921b3a2a82d9f9daf0cb320fc8314&sort=2&cat=500

My illistrations are to help you understand what I mean by notching etc so please look at it, and also read the captions I wrote in so you kinda know what your looking at... LMAO.

Thanks

Brian.

That notch looks like it would interfere with the port tuning since it will change the size of a section of the port. why not just move the rear wall of the enclosure forward a bit so the top, bottom and sides stick out around the amps?

See I wasnt sure about that notch idea, thats why I wanted to know. space is very limited, and am going to have to plasma cut part of the trunk frame away on the inside, and then slide the box into the car from the front door.

If anyone could have any idea on designs for this box I will pay for them to be drawn up.

The room I have to work with is 40" deep, 15" high, and 38 wide. So i was just going to make it as big as possible.

You might want to PM either Jmac or mrray13 if noone else responds; they design enclosures. I think the current rate for box plans here is $10.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.