New amp smoking - HELP

Apologies for the poor terminology. What I meant erroneously by T'd, is that two wires were landed for the rear channels in the slot at the deck-side adapter on the PnP harness. One set of these went to the LC2i, and one set went to the truck-side adapter. I cut and taped off the latter, individually. Likewise, two wires for the power and ground were landed in the same slot in the deck-side adapter, with one set going to LC2i and one set going to truck-side adapter. I left all of these intact.

Apologies for the poor terminology. What I meant erroneously by T'd, is that two wires were landed for the rear channels in the slot at the deck-side adapter on the PnP harness. One set of these went to the LC2i, and one set went to the truck-side adapter. I cut and taped off the latter, individually. Likewise, two wires for the power and ground were landed in the same slot in the deck-side adapter, with one set going to LC2i and one set going to truck-side adapter. I left all of these intact.
20230625_155846.jpg

(Amp power/ground not pictured)

Last edited:
Okay, I now see how it is. So the rear channels that used to go to the truck side are now cut, and they go straight to the LC2i. Are the front channels still straight from the radio?
My bad. No, the front channel wires on the PnP were also snipped and taped. So all speaker signal going to truck-side PnP harness connector comes from the speedwire/amp.

My bad. No, the front channel wires on the PnP were also snipped and taped. So all speaker signal going to truck-side PnP harness connector comes from the speedwire/amp.
Got it. To be honest, all looks spot on. You tested with a multimeter and all came out good. Now I lean towards you having a bad amplifier. Before connecting the speakers, turn on the amp. If the genie stays in the bottle, then connect fronts and test again. Then the rears.
I re-read your posts and did not see a mention of the radio. Is it OEM?

Got it. To be honest, all looks spot on. You tested with a multimeter and all came out good. Now I lean towards you having a bad amplifier. Before connecting the speakers, turn on the amp. If the genie stays in the bottle, then connect fronts and test again. Then the rears.
I re-read your posts and did not see a mention of the radio. Is it OEM?
Again, really appreciate all of the time spent. It is OEM, yep, in '22 F150. I've been over all of this in head and on paper a million times, and seems like everything should be correct. Just hate to repeat the attempt, as I realize the odds are that I've done something wrong vs manufacturing defect, but plausible the amp was faulty I suppose.

It is more common than you think.
So, I just went out to install the replacement amp, and figured I'd check all visible connections one more time beforehand. Found one of the speaker wires disconnected/pulled loose from the PnP harness connector that leads to the LC2i. In other words, of the two channels leading to the LOC, one of those channels effectively only had the positive wire connected. Would this have caused the first amp to fail, assuming it was in that condition when I powered up?
20230702_131448.jpg

So, I just went out to install the replacement amp, and figured I'd check all visible connections one more time beforehand. Found one of the speaker wires disconnected/pulled loose from the PnP harness connector that leads to the LC2i. In other words, of the two channels leading to the LOC, one of those channels effectively only had the positive wire connected. Would this have caused the first amp to fail, assuming it was in that condition when I powered up?
View attachment 49985
Pulling around on the other connector wires, a second one just effortlessly pulled out also, to the other channel, meaning the other/second channel had a spotty negative connection.

(Would I be able to pull those connector pins out with needlenose, to get wires properly crimped in?)

Would this have caused the first amp to fail, assuming it was in that condition when I powered up?
No, erratic input signal will not damage the amp. If anything, it would damage the source if those touched ground.
Would I be able to pull those connector pins out with needlenose, to get wires properly crimped in?)
Yes, just make sure you identify the holding tab. I have damaged pins by pulling hard thinking the tab was depressed.

No, erratic input signal will not damage the amp. If anything, it would damage the source if those touched ground.

Yes, just make sure you identify the holding tab. I have damaged pins by pulling hard thinking the tab was depressed.
Was hoping that would be the smoking gun, for smoking amp.

K, thanks @1aespinoza

Well, just smoked a second amp. As soon as I turned the ignition, heard a low pitch tone, couldn't turn volume up from zero for some reason, and I disconnected the power wire as fast as I could, but amp was already smoking. Very frustrated....

At this point, I'm quite sure of my wiring logic and connections. Process of deduction would seem to suggest a bad PnP harness or bad LC2i/LOC? Can anyone suggest the odds of LOC contributing to amp failure, vs the harness maybe being wired wrong? Determined, and will again attempt to replace amp, but something is obviously wrong.

Thanks all.

Well, just smoked a second amp. As soon as I turned the ignition, heard a low pitch tone, couldn't turn volume up from zero for some reason, and I disconnected the power wire as fast as I could, but amp was already smoking. Very frustrated....

At this point, I'm quite sure of my wiring logic and connections. Process of deduction would seem to suggest a bad PnP harness or bad LC2i/LOC? Can anyone suggest the odds of LOC contributing to amp failure, vs the harness maybe being wired wrong? Determined, and will again attempt to replace amp, but something is obviously wrong.

Thanks all.
Damn, sorry to hear that. Did you reconnect without the LOC to see what happens or does it no longer turn on?
If the LOC were a culprit, it would have to be internal. Like signal positive touching ground and affecting amp. I have seen bad LOCs cause havoc in the audio quality but not smoking an amp.

Last edited:
Damn, sorry to hear that. Did you reconnect without the LOC to see what happens or does it no longer turn on?
If the LOC were a culprit, it would have to be internal. Like signal positive touching ground and affecting amp. I have seen bad LOCs cause havoc in the audio quality but not smoking an amp.
I didn't try without the LOC, no. I do still have the failed amp though, prior to return, that I guess I can do some troubleshooting with. Wouldn't be able to hear any tonal indicators, but would just watch for smoke. I will hook up today, with just power/ground, and proceed to connect more, and see if i can isolate or reproduce.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...