New amp smoking - HELP

Yes, this procedure should help isolate. I would do the LOC last.
K, so the Amp does not smoke with just power/ground connected. I unfortunately don't have a way to isolate the PnP harness from the LOC, as the one powers the other. I did think to change out the RCA's this time, to eliminate that variable, to no avail. With different RCAs from LOC to amp, and with LOC connected, but with speakers not yet connected to the amp (note, I did have the two channels connected from PnP harness to high input on LOC), I powered on the radio to reproduce smoke immediately. I could actually see orange flame through the cracks of the amp housing, to the far right in pic, behind the speaker terminals-
20230703_092556.jpg

So, with each speaker wire/speed wire pair previously tested (okay) via multimeter, it would appear the issue is either with the LOC or the PnP harness. Please correct me if I'm thinking incorrectly here. Should I repeat, with high input disconnected from LOC, from PnP harness? Would that make a difference, or help to further isolate issue, between LOC and harness?

Question is, assuming above thinking is correct, and with no desire to fry a third amp, do I go ahead and replace the LOC and the harness (with my own manually run speaker wires, with the OEM wires snipped and spliced behind the head unit instead of using a harness, and with LOC powered from fuse panel), or just replace one or the other? I bought harness and LOC together, from here: https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...audio-harnesses-kits-1?variant=41430559948990

I guess the other possibility still exists that I've wired something wrong (wiring logic explained on a prior response, on this thread).

Last edited:
Should I repeat, with high input disconnected from LOC, from PnP harness? Would that make a difference, or help to further isolate issue, between LOC and harness?
So no speakers were connected at the time of initial startup or during this test?
With just Power & Ground, jump a wire from amp positive to amp Remote to turn on the amp (screwed in at one side for quick removal). Any smoke? If you saw flames, then amp may already be gone but for testing purposes we shall try to proceed.
If no smoke, power down then connect your phone to the amp via 3.5mm to RCA cable. Power up. If no smoke then touch one speaker at a time to it's spot to see if that affects the amp.
Screenshot_20230703-090727(1).png

You may find one of these at Autozone or Bestbuy.

Sounds to me like you have a 12v /hot wire connected to the speaker section on your pin harness. If it were a power issue /supply for powering the amplifier and not supplied and grounded properly, you should have blown an onboard fuse. Double check your Speaker connections at the Harness. You are frying the speaker section on the board of the amplifier. Thats my thinking/2 cents

Last edited:
I know it sounds like a PITA, but you should pull each speaker in the door and see what color is Poss and Neg for each speaker and take a pic and write and or draw on a piece of paper so you dont forget. This should help you

Sounds to me like you have a 12v /hot wire connected to the speaker section on your pin harness. If it were a power issue /supply for powering the amplifier and not supplied and grounded properly, you should have blown an onboard fuse. Double check your Speaker connections at the Harness. You are frying the speaker section on the board of the amplifier. Thats my thinking/2 cents
Really appreciate the review and the input. I've put everything (paneling) back together for now, got pretty frustrated with it, but as soon as I have time, I'll pull everything back apart and check. I should have just grabbed a spare length of wire and checked harness continuity, end to end on all connections, with a meter while I had everything apart. I'm pretty convinced, at this point, that the harness has an issue, from the manufacturer - a wire mislanded, or maybe a short somewhere.

If the above scenario is the case, with hot to speaker, would I have damaged the inline LOC, upstream of amp, in the process? Definitely want to eliminate all possible defects prior to a third attempt.

Thanks again!

Really appreciate the review and the input. I've put everything (paneling) back together for now, got pretty frustrated with it, but as soon as I have time, I'll pull everything back apart and check. I should have just grabbed a spare length of wire and checked harness continuity, end to end on all connections, with a meter while I had everything apart. I'm pretty convinced, at this point, that the harness has an issue, from the manufacturer - a wire mislanded, or maybe a short somewhere.

If the above scenario is the case, with hot to speaker, would I have damaged the inline LOC, upstream of amp, in the process? Definitely want to eliminate all possible defects prior to a third attempt.

Thanks again!
Im pretty certain that having that much power12v/would also damage that LOC on the speaker section. It may be melted by this time hit twice with power

Im pretty certain that having that much power12v/would also damage that LOC on the speaker section. It may be melted by this time hit twice with power
I could be wrong, but it wouldnt take much to take the LOC apart and view the small board inside. It more than likely damaged though. Its like taking a plastic bag and throwing it into a fire.

I could be wrong, but it wouldnt take much to take the LOC apart and view the small board inside. It more than likely damaged though. Its like taking a plastic bag and throwing it into a fire.
Gotcha. Will try to open it up sometime this week and have a look. Would be one more clue to the puzzle. Thanks again @audiobaun

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...