new alternator

kottonmouth
10+ year member

my Dynasty is a dynasty
Ubly, MI
well here is the deal......whenever i come to a stop now my car's voltage goes down to 9 volts and when drivin it is at about 11 volts and the lights are always dim. the car almost shuts off when i stop. i want to get a 180 or 200 amp alternator. would 180 be enough so i can power everything? and what is a good website for alternators?

Sounds like either an alternator or voltage regulator is bad or close to it.

First of all- what type of car is this? Engine Size? Stock Alt rating?

Then- what does your system consist of?

This will help us better determine the best logical choice to correct this issue.

take it easy,

-zane

this does this all the time....and the car is a 1990 Dodge Dynasty and has a 3.3 liter engine. i cant find what my stock alt rating is. my system is just a Profile 800SX with 2 JBL GT's. i dont have caps. but with a couple months i am gooing to be buying 2 JL Audio W6's with a JBL 1200.1 amp.

my dad works for chrysler and he replaced his in his acclaim which has the mitsubishi 3.0 liter and his was about 90 amps i think and he has A/C, if you car has A/C that is what yours will have close to i'm guessing. Although the 3.3 isn't japanese so it could be a little less...but close i'm guessing.

tough to say because you would have to buy one from stinger or another company like that....but id imagine it would be cheaper just to get yours rewound.

I'd say get a new stock alternator and have it rewound before you installed it. This is assuming that you have pinpointed the alternator as the problem. Many places will test it for free if you don't know how.

thanks everybody for your help but we found the problem. the rectifier (dont know how to spell it) went bad and the stock alt. is 140 amp. so theyare gonna rewind it for $70.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.