Neverending subwoofer problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

jodyboy

LA
When I play a song, at moderate volume the bass will sound pretty good. When you get closer and listen close to the subwoofer it sounds like there is a loud vibration coming from it, when it hits certain bass notes. It sounds almost exactly like something vibrating from the bass but except it sounds like its the subwoofer itself.

They are new so I don't think theyre blown.

My gain, bass boost, and all of that is all set to moderate levels.

I'm 99% sure its not something in the car rattling.

What could it be?

I have a new head unit, I tried new RCA wires, I tried a new amp

How do I know what to set my gain to? I heard to set it to the preout volts of your HU but Im not sure how to find that out. I just put my volume up 75% and turn the gain up until I hear distortion then back it down a little bit more.

What subs are we even talking about? Some subs have more mechanical noise than others. If your sub is moving far enough I would expect that when you put your ears right next to the sub that you may very likely here some mechanical noise or tinsel lead slap. We need some more info sir.

They are Massive Audio 12"s. They come in a MA box that is built for them. I don't think I am giving them too much power because 1) my amp is about 50w RMS less than the total wRMS of the subs themselves. They are both at 2 ohm. The second reason is because the subwoofers aren't bottoming out with excessive movement. As I said before it looks as if they are moving about a quarter of their total ability.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.