neons draw how much power????

titanle
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I hooked up my neons the other day and I got my power by splicing into the remote wire off the HU. Today while I was driving, the music would turn off and the neons would start to dim and then turn off completely. I thought that neons barely drew any current at all? I cut into the remote wire and put an inline 30amp fuse. Why is this happening?

I hooked up my neons the other day and I got my power by splicing into the remote wire off the HU. Today while I was driving, the music would turn off and the neons would start to dim and then turn off completely. I thought that neons barely drew any current at all? I cut into the remote wire and put an inline 30amp fuse. Why is this happening?
You should just wire it to your cigarette lighter if you have one.

I wired it to a toggle switch. When the music would stop, i would switch off the neons and then the music would come back on. But even when the music would turn off, the deck still had power.

neons are ****ing gay.
/thread.

fail.

epic fail.

lol way to rain on my parade //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif bastard! lol.....

yeah, wire it directly to your battery. those neons are starving your headunit of power.
thats what i tried to do at first, but i couldnt find a hole in the firewall to run the power wire so my last resort was to use the remote turn on

No offense.
I mean people cna do what they want.....

But any thread, or anyone asking me about neon gets a big what the **** look.

wtf do neons do for you?

I guess you could say something about rims but atleast they're used for your tires

neons are a waste of time, a waste of money, a waste of a small drain on ur cars electrical system, and ugly.

No car will ever look good with "OMG LIGHTZ" on it.

my bad for bubble bursting. but honestly, ****ing neons? buy some more speakers. jesus.

well I already ahve 24s.....so the lights were put in basically to show off my amps and crossovers which are installed under the driver and passenger seat. They onl light up the equipment.

my bad i was thinking outside car lights.

wait they're inside the car?

more t.v's would light the car up just as much.

plus do you really want a pink floyd light show getting pulled over? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lol.

Yea they are underneath the seats. outside neons are gay, i agree. its not really a pink floyd light show //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif theyre neon blue and go with the neon blue of my alpine amps so it works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

a freind of mine has some matching his interior not bad, just not my taste.
but yea, wire them suckers up to the batt.

also, are they some auto parts crappy store brand or name brand lights?
i think these are the ones I bought

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BLUE-12-LED-INTERIOR-ACCENT-NEON-LIGHTS-GLOW-TUBES_W0QQitemZ180251483416QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they seem like good quality......is there anyway i can fix this without wiring straight to the battery? I cant find a way thru the firewall.

I think streelightz is reputable.
I've never heard of EFX.
man i threw out the box, i think it might have been streetlightz. They seem to be good quality lights though. Hmmm I do have 2 amps hooked up. 0 guage come from the battery and goes to the cap, then 4guage goes to the amps.

The remote turn on wire for most (or at least all i know of) HU is rated at between 500mA and 1 A max current draw.

You can sometimes get away with running LED's off most of them, but most true neon's draw way too much current.

If your running them off a toggle switch you can supply the toggle with a 12v (battery), although i usually supply an ignition controlled source, so if you forget to turn them off when you get out of the car you don't come back to a dead battery. If you want them to turn on whenever you have the radio on, you can just add a relay to the remote turn on wire.

Hope that helps

-Jay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.