Negative Battery Terminal Connection

TCC

Newbie here,

I am planning on upgrading the power wiring to my amp and other trunk-mounted components that were installed many years ago. I will be running a new power wire with new fuse blocks, distribution blocks, etc.

My question is, Is it beneficial to run the negative wire from the amps and other components directly back to the negative terminal on the battery instead of just grounding it to the car body?

Does this reduce ground loop problems or reduce potential noise?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

-Tom

Having a solid and secure ground connection (along with proper wire size and as short a length as possible) will yield no problems. Ground loops come from user error...

I'll just go ahead & say that the previous two post have this one nailed tight...a short wire with the right gauge will be the way to go so find a point close & sand it clean...& watch out for the factory smoke in all your electronic components

As I posted in a previous thread.....The fact that your ground cable is securely mounted to your seatbelt torx bolt and the connection is clean, tight and pristine does not mean you have the best gound connection possible. After all you still have to connect the Vehicle's body to the battery terminal. There are some things you should check out and be aware of...... Make sure to check your ground wire coming off of your battery. See where it attaches....(Typically to the engine block)...Are there any other connections to the battery's negative post? Check the connection points to make sure they are clean, free from corrosion and tight. Make sure the battery cable is of at least the same gauge (or smaller). If it is not go to the auto parts store and buy a smaller gauge battery cable to upgrade your system.

I have seen a lot of foreign , and newer, cars that are inadequately set-up to handle the high current demands of car audio extremists.....in particular the grounding system.

It would not hurt to run a seperate ground cable to the battery and in fact would be beneficial. It allows for a secure and positive ground connection , will eliminate ALL ground loops (assuming you connect all your audio equipment to the circuit), it bypasses the sometimes lackluster vehicle grounding system and the Maintenance and Troubleshooting on your power system is easier and more direct.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.