need to do my first oil change in my new car.

Naxis2k1
10+ year member

grade A whiteboy
Phoenix
well getting real close to doing my first oil change in my 06 hyundai elantra. iam just wondering with it beign a new car should i only use certain products? normal the dealer would handel the first one but due to me driving 70miles everyday too and from work i got to do it my self before my first schedule maintaince.

anyinfo would be great thanks...

well getting real close to doing my first oil change in my 06 hyundai elantra. iam just wondering with it beign a new car should i only use certain products? normal the dealer would handel the first one but due to me driving 70miles everyday too and from work i got to do it my self before my first schedule maintaince.

always let the dealer do the first change IMO

just dont put crappy oil in it...what type of oil does it take? or is recomended?

since you drive so much u might want to use synthetic or sythetic blend oil it will give the engine better protection under harsh driving conditions and long trips

always let the dealer do the first change IMO
i agree, problem is if i bring it to them now i get charged for it becuase it before my schedule time. and we all know how much dealers charge. so i much rather just do it my self and save the cash.

i guess i should really just look in the manual and see what it recommends. my only thing is with my driving conditions is there maybe somthing i should be looking at getting.

look into Lucas oil additive keeps down on friction, also want to consider the viscosity of oil the car recommends. 5w30 may be all year around for that vehicle but make sure through your owners manual

Use the oil recomended for the vehicle, if possible try and stay with the same oil every oil change. I also drive about 70 miles to and from work everyday. I change my oil once a month using the same oil (weight & brand). My work vehicle now has somewhere around 255,000 miles and still going strong.

one thing to note though is if you dont already have synthetic in your engine, mixing non-synth with synth can be bad. can form lumps, thicker spots, nothing good. what i did was completely drain it, put in synthetic-non-synthetic blend and a new filter, then the next time i went full synthetic with another filter change. havent had any issues, and the last time i dropped the pan, the oil looked awesome.

Synthetics Are Compatible With Mineral Based Oils, But Be Careful:

When switching to a synthetic motor oil, it is important to keep several things in mind regarding oil consumption. Keep extra quarts of synthetic handy. Although many synthetic oil manufacturers tout the compatibility of their oils with mineral-based oils, adding mineral oil to synthetic oil will drastically reduce the level of engine protection that was initially designed into the synthetic oil as well as the mileage to your next oil change. Also, as the mineral oil breaks down it will contaminate the rest of the oil, leaving sludge and varnish deposits in the engine (this is because mineral oil is made up of many chemically dissimilar hydrocarbons, including waxes, all of which react differently under different operating conditions). By adding a mineral oil to synthetic oil you will also see a reduction in engine efficiency. depending on how much, and when, the mineral-based oil was introduced.

There are many different companies that offer synthetics. because this overview is intended to give readers a general idea of the benefits of synthetic lubricants, we have not discussed the specific differences between all the individual brands and their formulations. Keep in mind that there are significant differences between brands of synthetics, which will affect the performance and longevity of your engine, transmission, axles, bearings and chassis components.

Please email dave@performanceoiltechnology.com with any questions or topics that are not explained in this brief overview.

thats from an amsoil website, but amsoil doesn't know anything about oil... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I worked in a shop for 9 years.

I haven't read all the responses, so some of this info has probably already been stated.

I know most people and even manufacturers say that engine break-in is no longer necessary in new cars, but I'm still a believer in it.

For your first oil change use a quality petroleum-based oil. This will help seat the rings better than synthetics will allow. After that first one, use a good synthetic from then on. I used to be religious about Castrol Syntec for many years, but recently they've changed their formula and it contains less pure synthetic lubricant. Now, I'm using Mobil1 until I find a clear winner.

You can actually go longer between oil-changes with synth too, so the double the price difference isn't so bad in the end. With conventional oil I would change mine between 2500-3000 miles. With synth, I do between 4000-4500 miles. Almost break even in the long run.

For the weight, use a multi-grade. Don't get a straight sae 30, for example. Your owner's manual will show the recommended weight. It's probably 0w30 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. Remember, too, that going too thick does more than not lube the engine well enough because it's slow through the oil supply, but it will also affect horsepower and gas mileage. Thinner is actually better these days, but stick with what the manual says.

As mentioned synthetics can be mixed with petroleum-based oil, but it's not optimal. It is highly not recommended to mix different brand mineral oils because they use different chemical detergents etc. that can conflict/react with those in the other brand. So, if you do have to add some mineral oil to synthetic, try to stick to one kind and don't "top off" with multiple different mineral oil types. It's best just to stay pure, whether it be mineral, synth/conventional pre-mix, or pure synth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.