Need someone with experience!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dshort618

Okay guys I have seriously beat my head on the wall for long enough.

I have had wiring in my trailblazer for about a year and ran several different systems on it until I sold my last one in August, since then the wiring has just sat as is in my car. A couple days ago I bought two Rockford Fosgate P1s and a Memphis MCD500.1, both used but in awesome condition. I got everything hooked up and ready to go and when I turned my car on a constant ring came from my subs. It is literally a ringing noise, not a hum or buzz or rattle. I unscrewed the subs and it is definitely coming from them, I have been told this is called a "ground loop".. Anyway, my power and RCAs have always been ran on opposite sides, my ground is perfect, I have tried two different sets of RCAs, my head unit is grounded perfect, I grounded my negative RCA cable, I have tried all kinds of things. At this point I am just frustrated and all the local car audio shops are busy with Christmas. Does ANYONE have any suggestions, experience or guidance with this? Has anyone ever heard a ringing come from their subs? Please someone help a fellow car audio enthusiast with this problem. I can send pics if needed I have the amps cover off if someone could tell if it's the amp. Thank you so much for any replies!!!

If everything else is good like you say it is, then it sounds like a bad amplifier. Either that or you shorted the RCA cables when installing it and damaged the head unit.

I do think it is the amplifier, on the input RCA jacks you know how they always have the red and white plastic pieces? The white piece on the negative jack is gone so I think they may be causing some sort of problem. Everything inside the amp looks fine, brand new honestly... I guess I am going to try hooking a friends amp up to the wiring and see if it still does it. I have installed stereos for only 6 years but I have done a lot of them, especially in high school. I always take my time with my cars and be sure it's done right or not at all. If anyone else has any other suggestions prior to me hooking a friends amp up please help out!! Thanks guys.

There is no negative jack on an RCA assembly. The positive is a center pin and the negative is the outer shield. And plastic identifiers have no affect on the electrical connection.

That said, if the plastic piece was knocked off due to some impact or stress, that could have also caused an internal problem with the connector but, you said in your OP that you had checked all of those things, which is why I said "if everything else is good like you say it is". ;-)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.