Need some input/advice/knowledge ...

Participant count
  • Participant list

SR20

Hell
Allright so im slowly building up my system.

Kinda jumped into it at first, so now that ive gotten some decent subs, I need to get the rest of my system into check.

What i have currently:

Power:

Stock Alt,

Stock battery (plan to replace the battery been having some issues with it before I did the sound system)

Kinetik PowerCell KHC600 - Got this wired up to provide some power support since my lights were dimming before it....

0gauge wire with 300amp anl fuse run to the trunk.

power distribution 2 in 4 out. (0 in 4 out)

ground distribution (4 in 2 out (4 in 0 out)

I have the kinetik hooked up as well as the main car bat to the in on power and out on ground.

Everything is grounded properly (had this professionally installed since I didn't want to mess with this much power)

Not sure if I should add some caps to the mix as well??? (read on and decide later)

HU:

Pioneer 5900UB (decent head unit has 3 pre outs, some eq stuff overall decent for the price)

At some point I plan to build a computer to run most of my electronics in the car. (im a computer geek and know how to program lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

Subs:

2x P3D412 12" Punch P3 4-Ohm DVC Subwoofer

500 watt rms, 4ohm, dual voice coils, 1000 watt max

Great subs for how much I paid for them (~100 a sub, clearance and discount cupons FTW)

These are currently resting in a sealed box, (was onsale at best buy for 100 bucks)

Sub Amp(s):

Currently have a POS boss 1600watt amp. pushes something like 235watt rms @ 4ohm

Anyways its a POS and I know im under powering my subs like crazy...

So im looking at getting 2 amps to do the trick since I built my power out to handle up to 4 amps.

Speakers

Stock, running off the headunit amp.

Plan on upgrading these looking for some input here. Would like to have good balance, my main music is Metal and Rock. (Korn, All that remains, as I lay dying, day to remember, blink 182, rush, pink floyd, lynard skynard, eagles etc...) I also listen to a little bit of rap styled stuff (tech nine, fort minor, linkin park) (*sorry to those rap listners... its how I describe it...*)

Speaker Amp

Stock, so yes im double amping right now on my speakers since my headunit acts as one as well... but since the stock hu also amped its not causing any problems //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So as soon as I upgrade the stock speakers I'll want to add an amp as well. (duh)

I figure I only need one of these since 4 channel amps are easy to find.

My goal:

Is not have the most *****en system (until I get my computer running since itll be cool and talk back to people that arnt me and do some other snazzy stuff lol, but thats another story) But I want it to sound good. (who dosnt) Its not about the BOOM but rather a clear kick that feels like you just got drop kicked to the chest. I know alot of this comes down to the tuning of it but I want the proper gear to allow me to do this. I do like bass and as a Tuba player in highschool I love it. However I dont want the bass to overpower the rest of the sounds because they are all important.

Any input would be awesome. Pricing can vary, the cheaper the better but last time I went cheap (and didnt do my research) I got crap... (some no name subs that ******). So I try and balance it and get bang for the buck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (this those rockfords I got //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As for the knowledge, how do I figure out power requirements for an amp based on my speakers. what type of amp am I looking for. Since I know paralleling my voice coils drops me down to 2ohm for each speaker im not clear if that doubles my rms making me need 1000watt rms or am I still at 500 rms? I havnt been able to find anything on this either so im at a loss...

Dude, I have that same boss amp. it really doesn't do **** for the subs, hit 132@45hz with it on 2 15's.

I just picked up a sundown 1500 and it doesn't even compare to that **** amp. Hits a bajillion times harder, and sounds a million times cleaner.

Nuff said, you need to spend some money, but if you really can't, I hear audiopipe are the best budget amps.

I'd honestly do all the speakers and get a real 80 watt rms 4 channel amp to power them. That sub amp was enough for me until the highs got reaaal loud.

Dude, I have that same boss amp. it really doesn't do **** for the subs, hit 132@45hz with it on 2 15's.I just picked up a sundown 1500 and it doesn't even compare to that **** amp. Hits a bajillion times harder, and sounds a million times cleaner.

Nuff said, you need to spend some money, but if you really can't, I hear audiopipe are the best budget amps.

I'd honestly do all the speakers and get a real 80 watt rms 4 channel amp to power them. That sub amp was enough for me until the highs got reaaal loud.
That was my plan, I was budgeting (without doing research mind you) ~150-200 for each sub amp, ~200 for the speaker amp, ~75 a speaker for the mids (4 of them), and ~100 for misc wires, terminals etc...

However im not opposed to spending the money, I want to get it done right. However if budget amps work I have nothing against spending less money.

Audio is a second to me, if this looks like till take me $3-4k to do what I need to get my audio finished id rather put it towards the turbo I want to throw into my car.

Anyways yeah. That amp ***** lol... Ive overheated it 3 times at least... and blew the fuses 2 times when I tried to bridge it. First time with both speakers (1ohm) second time with one speaker (2ohm) both times failed...

Well this is my setup and I couldn't be more than happy with it...

American Bass SQ 5.25's

Kicker KS6500's

Sundown SAX-100.4d

Sundown SAZ-1500D

2 American Bass XO 15's

Just one 4 gauge run, with a regular car battery in the trunk.

The main fuse was blowing (100A) but stopped after I threw a battery back there. And the voltage drop is fine.

The only thing I'm not happy with are the subs, and they're getting upgraded next week, but all in all I have less than a grand into my stereo, it sounds phenomenal, to me at least, and you hear me comin'.

The whole system depends on the install, and if you do it wrong it doesn't matter how much money you spend it'l sound bad. If you do it right, anything can sound good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.