Need some advice...

ingine53
10+ year member

So I have decided to get back into car audio and upgrade my system. As of right now, I have 2 15' kicker L7's powered by an mb quart 2000 watt amp and 4 6x9's.(2 old kenwood's and 2 kicker's). I have decided to upgrade my electrical system first in my 88 suburban b/c the subs drain all my power when I turn my stereo up loud. I need some advice as to where I could find a good alternator for my suburban. I've looked on ebay w/out any success. Also, what would anyone recommend as far as batteries? Once I get my electrical system upgraded, I wanted to put in a set of components. I have been looking at the re xxx 6.5 components but if anyone knowns of better please let me know. Also, I am lastly thinking about getting another set of subs. It seems as if everyone thinks kicker is crappy and overpriced. What subs out right now are better than kicker for spl? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2 15 L7s on a 2000w MBQ in an SUV should actually be pretty **** loud. May not sound great, but if it isnt loud, something is wrong...

what is your budget for all of this?

It is very loud. Its just that when I turn my stereo up it only stays loud for maybe a minute or two and then the noise noticeably dies. I want to be able to play it loud for long periods of time and not just a couple minutes. I also noticed when I play it loud at night, it dims my lights like crazy so I turn it down until they stop dimming. My budget would be about 1500-2000.

It is very loud. Its just that when I turn my stereo up it only stays loud for maybe a minute or two and then the noise noticeably dies. I want to be able to play it loud for long periods of time and not just a couple minutes. I also noticed when I play it loud at night, it dims my lights like crazy so I turn it down until they stop dimming. My budget would be about 1500-2000.
So you thinks its the subwoofers that are causing your stereo to lose output after a few minutes of playing? The headlights dimming like crazy should have been the clue that made you realize your alternator is insufficient for the demand you are placing on it. Changing speaker brands wont remove this problem.

audioholic, I never said I wanted to change speaker brands. I said I wanted to upgrade my electrical system first. Should I start with upgrading my alternator or battery? I remember being told a long time ago that the alternator is what powered everything when a car is running so would it be best to start with a new alternator?

i don't get the point of getting extra batteries if you don't have the power to supply them. so 1st thing i'd get is the alt and big 3. here's a site that i got from an avalanche website for alternaters. high amp gm ford chrysler chrome alternator
It all comes down to how close your charging system is to keeping up with the demand placed on it when the stereo is turned up. Adding an extra batt does a couple main things.

One, it adds more storage capacity. As the stereo draws more power than the alt can produce, system voltage drops. Once system voltage reaches batt voltage levels (~12.8v), the alt is maxed out, and all power beyond that point is drawn from the batt(s). If this continues for a period of time, the batt(s) drains, and its voltage decreases. So obviously, more capacity is beneficial. More capacity means a longer period of allowable overdraw on the charging system before over all system voltage drops to a dangerous level and the amp goes into protect mode (or worse).

Second, usually a secondary batt is mounted in the rear, much closer to the amplifier(s). This means you now have a power 'source' relatively close to your main current drains. The spikes in current draw required to power the transient demands of music will draw mainly from the rear batt, as there is less line resistance between it and your amp than there is to the front batt. Less line-loss to the amplifier for better performance. There's also a lesser known/discussed advantage of a smaller required power cable running to the rear batt than if you ran from a front batt to the amps directly in the back. This is because the current passing thru the wire (front to rear) will only be to equalize voltage between the front and rear batts in the system. As I said, the rear batt will receive more drain from the rear mounted amps than will the front batt, so the demand from those peak current draws is 'smoothed out' in the form of voltage equalization between batts during periods of lesser current demand. Viola, smaller cable required for that long run from the front to rear of the vehicle.

And with all that being said, there is an important factor that must be considered: average current draw over time. Averaging out the peaks and valleys in current draw over time, a more generic statement can be made saying that if your current draw is greater than current supplied by the alt, you WILL run out of power at some point. How soon is factored by capacity in the system, and the difference between current drawn and current supplied.

Even your own personal listening habits factor into all this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

I typed all this out to explain to you that there are no simple answers here. I do this because I feel the inevitable "how big of an alt do I need for this many watts?" question coming on. I hope Ive shown you that's impossible for us to tell you. And that to really plan out a charging system efficiently, instead of just guessing and hoping you dont damage anything if your voltage drops too drastically, or simply throwing money at the solution, you have to learn some of the fundamentals of how the system works instead of just asking some strangers for their advice.

Ok, so according to audioholic, it seems like I can go two routes right now. Since my system obviously needs more power than my alternator can supply, I could get a couple more batteries to increase the overall storage capacity and allow for longer periods of playing music before my total overall power dropped dangerously low. Or, it seems like I can just buy a very powerful alternator and avoid the total draw of my system ever exceeding the power my alternator can put out. I feel like it would be best to just get a very powerful alternator because if I went the battery route, wouldn't it be bad for my current alternator? When the draw from my system constantly exceeds the power of my alternator, it seems like that can't be good for my alternator. Wouldn't buying one very powerful alternator solve all my problems?

@ audioholic

Thanks for explaining how the charging system works. I understand it a lot better now. But, I still do not know what route to take with my system. I am still a little confused as to why you would invest in a couple more batteries and risk hurting your alternator when you can just buy a very powerful alternator to begin with that will have plenty of power to keep the system charged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.