Need Recommendations for an Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

HFrosty

I'm looking to purchase an amp and speakers, but I have no idea which amp to buy. The speakers I'm looking to buy: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Amazon.ca: Electronics

Ideally, I'd like an amp that's cheap-ish and will get the job done well.

In one review for the speakers that I was reading, someone mentioned that the highs from the tweeters are a bit too high and suggested that you "install a 22uF cap across the tweeter posts at the crossover to tame the high end". Can someone explain that to me? It sounds like something I should look in to.

If I need any extra supplies on top of the amp, links for those would be greatly appreciated since I'm having this installed at a local audio shop and I don't want all those added supply fees from them.

Most likely their install was poor and lacking. EX: poor speaker positioning, lack of proper sound processing (low end 150 dollar and under head unit), and overall tuning.

The tweeter attenuation on the crossover should be more than enough along with a proper EQ and on axis(facing directly at your ears) tweeter positioning While avoiding reflections from the windshield causing a massive spike in the upper frequency range.

If they had it firing up the dash, or off axis near the windshield then yes there will be harsh and overly bright tweets that only an advanced EQ from a dedicated Digital sound processor can tame.

For amps, I'd go with PPI amps if you want budget power. Look for a black ice 800.4, there's one in the classifieds if you dont mind buying used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.