Need opinions on future replacement setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

los33

Car Audio G
Houston, TX
What up everyone first post after looking at this site for so long.

To get to the point my current setup is

Sub Woofer: Orion hcca 12d 600w rms/1200 watts max

Sub Box: Custom 2.5^3 seems to be at 30hz to 40hz & 2.5 wide port 34.5 sq inchs

Amplifier: ProAcoustic pram2000d (cheap unknown amp?)

Should be 2000 watts but seems it is only max at 500-800rms

Currently its all basic setup 4gauge and all with stock battery and alternator.

This is my daily which i ride a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 double cab 3doors.

The orion really truly does bang, but either its not hitting hard enough or im interested in a harder setup still in the 12 inch setup.

Maybe some help on a new amp or a new amp and sub with box ideas which would really bang in this truck.

Im not looking to compete so a SQ setup is good and i am willing to upgrade electrical system to compensate needs.

I was thinking a jbl w7 with incriminator audio amp would surpass my current system, but im new to audio so im still choosing whats best so if possible ideas would help.

Just looking for the better louder bang.

Well first off, you're conflating brands. JBL doesn't make the W7, JL Audio does. And frankly, your Orion is as good or better a sub for the money so I'd stick with that.

Other than that, your amp is the weak link. You're correct in assuming it only puts out 5-800 watts. At first blush I would say you need another amp and possibly a better box but we need more details about the box. You guessed 30-40Hz tuning and that's a huge difference so, we need to find out exactly (or as close as possible) what it's tuned at and whether it's sturdy enough to handle more power.

So let's get some details on the box...

What type of material and how thick is it?

Are there internal braces and is the baffle two layers?

Exactly what size is the port? If round, length and diameter and if slotted, HxWxL?

Exact outside dimensions of the box?

Thank you for the correction i did not even notice it was two brands.

As for the box this is all the details i have of it.

-2.5^3 of airspace tuned to 33 hz.

-External dimensions: 34" wide, 14" high, and 15.5" deep

-Has a 2.5" wide port with 34.5 sq inches of port area.

-Sub and port are both facing back.

-Gold plated terminal with spring loaded terminals

-Grey carpet

-Double baffled enclosure

When i said it could be between 30-40hz it is because either the box has a very small leak or it is not correctly hitting at 33hz maybe i am wrong.

Edit: found pic of box

8n9w1BVl.jpg

Not that it makes much difference but you have 31.25in² of port area. That box should be fine with that sub but if you have a leak in it, repair it. If the leak is due to a panel being loose, use some screws to secure it and seal the inside with painter's caulk... NOT silicone. Silicone doesn't adhere well to wood.

Looks like the most obvious place you could improve would be the amp. With 4 gauge power wiring you can go to about 1500 watts of real power. The CT Sounds 900.1 is a good choice and you're in the same area that the manufacturer is so there should be a number of dealers to choose from. Of course, there are a lot of other good quality brands but I'm not a dealer for them so it would be counterproductive for me to recommend them. :)

I will check out the enclosure to make sure all is good as i have not checked it fully.

As for the amp yes they are many good brands.

Just a question tho as i have a dealer 2 mins from me who only does ct sounds. Seems to me as a new brand or a renamed brand.

They seem over priced and ive seen test that incriminator audio have beat ct sounds also even soundstream.

Whats the max amp watts i should look into as this sub is the older 99 model which supposedly can handle more then what was advertised.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.