Need new 6.5" or 7" Drivers for doors.

Fastr
10+ year member

I changed the way I am running my system, and now I think I need some new front drivers. I have a wierd setup, so I am looking for a good all around performer in a two way setup.

(I currently have the Datyon 7" RS drivers in the front doors running with the Alpine Type-R silk tweets and the Type-R passive cross-overs). They sound great vocally, just lack on the bottom end.

I looking for something that has better bass response in the doors, as good of vocals as the Daytons (which I think are fantastic), and is forgiving when it comes to the crossover point with the tweets. (I have no idea what the crossover point is on the Type-R crossovers) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did have CDT 6x9 midsubs running midbass in the back, but found that while they have great sounding bass, they just muddy up my front stage. I have a 12" sealed sub in the trunk running 80hz down.

Thanks for any suggestions!

i would vote mach 5mli mids over at soundsolutionaudio.com. They review pretty well. Interested in getting rid of your daytons cheap? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What you're experiencing with the Daytons when it comes to vocals is the extremely low distortion they exhibit.

Frankly, though, I'm rather surprised you like them as much as you do in your current configuration.

That all being said, in order to achieve that kind of low level distortion, and the kind of clarity the RS180 exhibits, while also opening up the bottom end, you're going to have to spend quite a bit of money.

The first candidate that would have some of the same characteristics as the RS180 is the Seas Excel series. The W18NX is a definite winner, but if you like metal cone characteristics, then the mag cones might be an option.

Scan Speak offers some of the lowest distortion numbers in the business. However, they offer a much smoother, more relaxed sound than the RS180. The poor mans Scan Speak the Usher 8945 (and 8945P) also has great distortion numbers, but is BIG. If you can fit the magnet, then that would be my first suggestion to keep the price relatively low.

The Seas stuff can be found at http://www.madisound.com

The Usher stuff at http://www.partsexpress.com

Whatever you choose, you're very likely going to have to change your configuration. All those come in 8 ohm (except the Scans). However, if you put Scan Speak drivers on a set of Type R crossovers, I will hunt you down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks for the info! Hmm what to do.. Ill check out the scan speaks.. what about the Seas RNX speakers everyone talks about on here?

Do you know what the crossover frequencies are on the Type R crossovers?

Are you saying they are bad?

(From most the components Ive heard, I really like Type R tweets. Very smooth, just a tad loud for the Daytons I think, even at -3db setting). Maybe the Mach5s would be a good inexpensive choice until I decide to buy a whole new component set..

How about running active and crossing over the Daytons lower like they need? Of course then you'll probably need new tweets to drop down low enough for the HP of the mids. Never an easy way. LOL

Thanks for the info! Hmm what to do.. Ill check out the scan speaks.. what about the Seas RNX speakers everyone talks about on here?
Do you know what the crossover frequencies are on the Type R crossovers?

Are you saying they are bad?

(From most the components Ive heard, I really like Type R tweets. Very smooth, just a tad loud for the Daytons I think, even at -3db setting). Maybe the Mach5s would be a good inexpensive choice until I decide to buy a whole new component set..
The Seas Prestige (RNX) stuff is really good. Again it's 8 ohm though. They're pretty much night and day between the RS180 though. They will give you the midbass you're craving though. In other words, sacrifices all around.

The Mach 6.5s are a good speaker. I don't think they're nearly as good as the RS180s, but they will integrate a bit better into your current setup.

Understand, though, I'm not a huge fan of mixing and matching drivers and passive crossovers. So, take anything I say with a grain of salt. I just feel you're defeating the purpose of trying to upgrade by going that route. It might be a step forward, but the crossover is a step back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.