Need more power but indecisive!

JonStoltz

Right now I have the Kicker CompR 12". Great sub but I'm ready for more power. I can't decide whether to get the CompR dual enclosure [http://www.kicker.com/CompR_Loaded_Enclosures] which is 1600 RMS or the Sundown Z V.3 12" or 15" which is 1500 RMS. Should I go with the louder (cone area) dual 12s or the higher quality single 12/single 15. I heard the factory enclosure for the kickers is too small which doesn't allow for full potential. The sundown I'm considering the 15 since it can reach lower notes. Thoughts??

Right now I have the Kicker CompR 12". Great sub but I'm ready for more power. I can't decide whether to get the CompR dual enclosure [http://www.kicker.com/CompR_Loaded_Enclosures] which is 1600 RMS or the Sundown Z V.3 12" or 15" which is 1500 RMS. Should I go with the louder (cone area) dual 12s or the higher quality single 12/single 15. I heard the factory enclosure for the kickers is too small which doesn't allow for full potential. The sundown I'm considering the 15 since it can reach lower notes. Thoughts??
Sundown zv3 15, no contest.

Sundown zv3 15, no contest.
Straight to the point lol i was hoping somebody would say that though. don't u like the new kicker Rs? i listen to all types of music so could the 15 play rock, folk and reggae as well as it can rap and electronica?

Straight to the point lol i was hoping somebody would say that though. don't u like the new kicker Rs? i listen to all types of music so could the 15 play rock, folk and reggae as well as it can rap and electronica?
Kickers haven't a been good in years.

Yes the sundown 15 can play any type of music, as long as you put it in a proper box. Do not put a sundown sub in a prefab box.

the 12 and 15 will reach the same notes if given ideal enclosures. The 15 is just louder at all frequencies due to cone area therefore giving it the impression of it getting lower but its not. 2 12s have more cone area but the motors and voice coils on the kickers are just puny. A single zv3 15 will destroy those kickers through sheer motorforce.

The kind of music you listen to will determine your ported enclosure's design, I'd advise you to get hooked up with a professional box designer like pwk designs and determine what is the best box for your car.

With a ported enclosure, you can tune for any types of music, but there is always tradeoffs, just need to find the happy medium.

If you have some basic woodworking skills I can hook you up with a designer that will produce a cut sheet with all the dimensions and cut outs. Would be a fraction of the cost of having one made.

Ok, Kickers out. Now what about Sundown vs. Soundqubed. Seems like qubed i can get (2) HDC 3.0 for the price of one Z V.3. Is there a reason? which brand is more reliable, more durable, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
both are fine, soundqubed likes enclosures on the bigger side cant go wrong with a Zv3 or an hdc315, soundqubed's factory direct, cuts out dealer pricing.
yea i probably cant afford the amp for 2 HDC 3.0 though, so i'll probably get one 4.0 or even one 3.0 just want to make sure I'm getting quality stuff too. i like that factory direct, thanks for letting me know. so as long as soundqubed is a quality product I'll choose that over sundown.

So I think I'm going to go with the HDS312. Its more on the sound quality side and only 300 watts less. Now should i get the matching amp from Qubed or a KX1200.1? i know the kicker amp is way more expensive but I absolutely love the KX I have now. It never gets hot, its small, an all around good quality line. can the same be said about the Qubed amp? Sorry this isn't in general discussion..

So I think I'm going to go with the HDS312. Its more on the sound quality side and only 300 watts less. Now should i get the matching amp from Qubed or a KX1200.1? i know the kicker amp is way more expensive but I absolutely love the KX I have now. It never gets hot, its small, an all around good quality line. can the same be said about the Qubed amp? Sorry this isn't in general discussion..
Soundqubed makes really good amps. They can go to .5 ohm on the right electrical. And they are underrated.

If you have money for a kx1200.1 new, you have money for a soundqubed 2200 new

Choice is a no brainer there the 2200.1D is the superior amp between the two, just keep the gains down, set it via the DMM method and you are golden. Gives you upgrade room for another 12 in the future. hell, why not just build a dual ported 12 enclosure with seperate chambers and add another 12 later that is if you've got the room for it. Plan ahead and save some money on amps and enclosures in the long run because if you are a true basshead, you'll never be satisfied with a setup for longer then a few months.

again, get a hds300 12 d4 and soundqubed 2200.1d run it at 2 ohms for now and in the future grab another hds300 12 d4 wire them both to 1 ohm. make sure you have your electrical system ready for it first though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.