need major help....

mgaidica
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
with this box...

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=533

i will need to port either the front or back correct? the way i designed it, the whole thing was sealed, front and back, so no air would be getting to the subwoofer. I dont want a "ported" box, because it requires to much room and thats not the sound i want, so should I just make some holes by the plexiglass (like 4 holes) just so the subs get some air? Thanks.

Originally posted by mgaidica with this box...

i will need to port either the front or back correct? the way i designed it, the whole thing was sealed, front and back, so no air would be getting to the subwoofer. I dont want a "ported" box, because it requires to much room and thats not the sound i want, so should I just make some holes by the plexiglass (like 4 holes) just so the subs get some air? Thanks.
What you have there looks like a bandpass box to me. If you put holes in the plexi, i'd imagine it would just act like a sealed box.

Originally posted by mgaidica with this box...

---------------------------------------------------

If I'm understanding you correctly, right now it is sealed in front and back? If you want it to be like just a sealed box, take the plexi off. Just some holes in the front section won't sound good and will be more like an untuned bandpass and sound like @$$.

yes... porting the front little triangle space will give u a "untuned" bandpass box

audiobahn makes some bandpass boxes like this

for a sealed box... just take off the plexiglass

but if u want the bandpass... port the chambers behind the subwoofers

ok dont port it: bad idea with a box that shape, and i bet that you wont get the sound that you want.

just maybe make some designs in the plexiglass, and make sure that there is enuf room for a lot of air to get thru. if you have only small holes...the front of the cone will still have some resistance and it wont perform the way that you want it to...you are best maybe making something out of the glass...like flames or something

EDIT~ if you want to pay a little...i can see what i can do in my computer aided manufacturing class (we have computer programmed mills, we can put designs into metal, wood etc.) and maybe id be able to etch something into the glass and make it for ya. or you could just etch out a design, and cut it out yourself

i think what im going to do is just forget the plexi, still have the same box design and where the plexi goes in that picture just take it out and round of the edges of that rectangle where the plexiglass was. I was at a shope today and it was exactly like that, it looked pretty sweet. any of you suggest anything to make it unique? I wanted to put neons in the plexiglass one, but im not sure if it will have the same effect without it? I actually was thinking strobe lights, i think that would be tight as hell...

well i dont know if i want to spend that much on a box, my whole reason for building one was to keep the price down. plus the cheapest plexi i can get is like 80 bucks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.