Need iPod Solution for 80s Sports Car

FM Modulators are devices that send an audio signal directly to you're radio (either stock or aftermarket) via the antenna line. It hooks up in line to your radio's antenna input. Its basically a little box with a standard malke antenna plug coming out of it.... an audio cable from the source coming into it.. and a standard antenna female plug in it. Some vehicles require 2 antenna adaptors to install them. They are commonly used for sat. radio.... i pod hookups... dvd flipdowns and several other things

You have a few options, some have been mentioned here, but some haven't.

These you have ruled out:

1) Cassette adaptor

2) New headunit

Your options

1) FM transmitter - However, shitty quality sound, as you mentioned very hard to use in your area due to all the stations

2) Factory radio ipod cable (peripheral type) - uses FM mod hookup directly into antenna line, you can control the Ipod through your stereo... however, im not sure if youll find one for your year make and model.

3) Aux input - Im almost sure that old of a vehicle does not have an aux imput.... plus theres no control through the stereo

4) Harmon Kardon plug and play kit with FM modulator - This will give you a display screen that you can view your ipod menu through, as well as a control very similar to the ipod controls to contorl your ipod from. You just plug in the ipod and tuck it in the glovebox, then you view the display(commonly mounted on dash or above radio) and control through the control.. commonly mounted by the shifter. You use and fm modulator to hook it up into your antenna line for the signal... Yoiu must ground it, tap a battery constant and a switched power. The only thing is the display and control "spoil" the factory look you want to preserve. Good thing : They can be easily pulled off the mount and removed.

5) they do make vintage stereos with SD card imputs and the like... but it looks like you looked into them

you could always mount a small 4ch amp to power your speakers and get a 3.5mm to rca adapter. did that in a caprice to keep stock radio to prevent theft. ran a kx350.2 on a 12" cvr and an alpine v12 for coaxials like that for a while sounded pretty good for pioneer speakers. I lost the fm radio but I never used it anyway (except at the drive in)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.