Need help

eeyore357

AL
I got a sub and amp installed at best buy. Kenwood kac5001ps amp and a kicker comp s 4ohm sub. My sub was damaged and found a kicker comp vr dvc. I hooked it up parallel. Hooked the amp up to the solid side on the sub. Tried it out.... I sounded great! Then I started smelling something burning. Opened the trunk and it was coming from there. Cut it off. What did I do wrong? How can I wire this up correctly? Thanks!

I got a sub and amp installed at best buy. Kenwood kac5001ps amp and a kicker comp s 4ohm sub. My sub was damaged and found a kicker comp vr dvc. I hooked it up parallel. Hooked the amp up to the solid side on the sub. Tried it out.... I sounded great! Then I started smelling something burning. Opened the trunk and it was coming from there. Cut it off. What did I do wrong? How can I wire this up correctly? Thanks!
are u sure u didn't wire + to a -? it's a dvc sub is it 2 or 4 ohm dvc? most of the time u get a short wire say 1ft long stick it in both + terminals and a 2nd wire - to other - then stick wires coming from box (or amp) into 1 of the + and - on same side of sub so 1 set of terminals will have 2 wires in each terminal that will give u either a 2 or a 1 ohm load depending on what ohm each coil is.. also thier are pics of this everywhere...this wires sub to a higher load (less power from amp) https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=xSrp8Qzf&id=96265BC3F2F44DFDD026B30542FA70AD73CA7DA6&q=dvc+sub+wiring&simid=608018008734172047&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0 this wires sub lower (more power from amp) https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=maQ0Ds50&id=53D0C499E1D6592DDC043D24E567D29B30422DCF&q=dvc+sub+wiring&simid=608056130867299580&selectedindex=1&ajaxhist=0&first=1&thid=OIP.maQ0Ds50rDYuyIRFy1JXFgDoEs

I had it wired correctly. The way I had it wired droped the ohm to 2 ohm. It was suggested on FB that it was too much for the amp. The original speaker was 4 ohm svc. The one I tried was 2 ohm dvc (the way I had it wired) I was told I could wire it in series and be at 4ohm but it would probably sound horrible. Someone else suggested I just adjust the gain.

What does this mean, explain in better detail. >> " Hooked the amp up to the solid side on the sub."
I had it wired correctly. The way I had it wired droped the ohm to 2 ohm. It was suggested on FB that it was too much for the amp. The original speaker was 4 ohm svc. The one I tried was 2 ohm dvc (the way I had it wired) I was told I could wire it in series and be at 4ohm but it would probably sound horrible. Someone else suggested I just adjust the gain.
Absolutely.
So you are able to reply to this thread but cannot answer a simple question?

I will ask you again

What does this mean >> " Hooked the amp up to the solid side on the sub."

You said your kicker is 2ohm DVC, if so that wires to 1ohm if in parallel. 4 ohm in series. If you wired in parallel your amp isn't 1ohm stable and you could be smelling it

What does this mean, explain in better detail. >> " Hooked the amp up to the solid side on the sub."
Two of the connections are painted solid red and black. The other two have dots. I had it wired correctly for parallel.

It's a 4ohm sub but wired parallel it's 2ohm.

I haven't tried it since. The amp wasn't hot and the lights were still working.

Two of the connections are painted solid red and black. The other two have dots. I had it wired correctly for parallel. It's a 4ohm sub but wired parallel it's 2ohm.

I haven't tried it since. The amp wasn't hot and the lights were still working.
I do not think you have it correct at all.

You should be using ALL FOUR connectors of the sub not just 2 of them.

Here is a picture of your sub, explain which wires you have going to what connectors.

480x360-back.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.