Need help with wiring after 2nd battery.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bluemarvin3030

Senior VIP Member
OK, I have a Northstar battery for my trunk now. Redoing all my wiring from first battery back. Stock alt (for now) w/ big three, Interstate lead acid battery under hood.

Going to run 1/0 ofc (approximately 17-20 ft) to rear with two inline 250 amp fuses, near each battery. My question is how to fuse wires after 2nd battery. I'm doing 2 runs of 1/0 (approximately 3-4 ft) from Nsb to my DDM1c using dual input adapters. How do I fuse these two wires? Amp calls for 150 amp external fuse. Oh and should I ground amp to battery or chassis?

I haven't been able to find a concrete answer online. Thanks in advance.

P.S. there will be a small two channel coming off 2nd battery also, but it will be a seperate run of 8ga ofc fused (30 amp I think)

Most of us who aren't competing seriously or running ghetto installs use distribution blocks. You can use the solid blocks also but you would have to run individual inline fuses which would be a little bit of a pain in the a**.

Anybody else, don't all answer at one time.

Seriously though. How large of a fuse should I put on each run to the amp. Amp called for 150 amp fuse. Do I split the difference between the two or put a 150 on each. Hoping to get an answer soon so I can order parts, I'm doing the install next weekend.

That's kinda tricky since your amp doesnt have onboard fuses (that I saw). If it were me I would make it super simple and run one run of 2/0 with a 150a fuse otherwise if you're dead set on the 2 1/0 runs I would still run a short run of 2/0 with the 150a fuse to a dist block and run the 2 1/0 runs, un fused, from there to the amp

Thanks guys, I only wanted do runs so I could use my toolmaker dual inputs. I'll have to use a distro (I'll just have to hide it) and two short runs of 1/0 into the amp. Just hadn't thought about a distro block.

i heard mixing lead acid batteries and AGM isn't good.. like having a lead acid in the front and agm in the back
Its not, unless you have an isolator seperating the 2 batteries. Unless they are identical in size, brand, type and age, you want to isolate them from each other or they will fight each other and drasically decrease their life.

Its not, unless you have an isolator seperating the 2 batteries. Unless they are identical in size, brand, type and age, you want to isolate them from each other or they will fight each other and drasically decrease their life.
Does that go for all batteries because i am mixing the two in my signature without an isolator

If its right next to the battery, it does need a fuse between, but wouldnt hurt it to be between the fuses either. Fuses are mostly for protecting your car from the wire shorting because you're working with such large amperage you can do some real damage. But when you have a short run, say foot or less, you're not running much risk of the wire shorting and doing damage compared to a 15 foot run wiggling and wobbling rubbing in areas you cant see and check very easily.

Does that go for all batteries because i am mixing the two in my signature without an isolator
Yes. I don't know of any way to determine how bad it is or how much it shortens their life, but basically the unmatched batteries will constantly fight each other to try and equalize them selves but never be able to on top of the normal charging/discharging.

Not a big deal mixing batteries as long as your not running with the motor off a lot. Also as long as you have proper charging system like a proper alt and wiring to charge your batteries. Your starter might not last as long as it would solo but it's not a big deal. When it dies eventually after a few years if you're inclined get an AGM up front.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.