Need help with what tools I need for box build

ls2poweredgoat
5,000+ posts

Womanizer
OK I'm going to attempt my first box build today, I already started a thread requesting what size box I should put my DB500 in....

These are the tools I have...

-Black and Decker circular saw, with laser beam guidance (like $50 at Walmart)

-2 sets of saw horses

-Makita cordless screw driver

-Porter Cable DA sander

-Level

-And the L shaped yard stick thing

Besides the obvious, such as the mdf and the wood, along with screws, do I have the right tools to make a decent box?

dont forget glue
Yeah I forgot to mention that too.

I just don't know how the hell I am going to get a 4 x 8 sheet of MDF home. None of my friends have trucks. I could have HD cut the sheet in half, but I just measured my trunk and it's not 48" wide.

if you had air I was gonna say nail gun but..

how biga box? Home Depot sells the sheets in 2ftx4ft sections too, it might be 3x4 but anyways those should fit in you trunk/hatch, they are easier to work with too

I wouldn't trust a circular saw to give you perfect cuts everytime. I have had some very bad experiences with them being not perfect cuts...........(Probably my shakey hand).

If you can get access to one, I would suggest using a table saw, and take that circular saw back to Walmart.

I know the circular saw isn't the greatest, but it's all I have access to. It has a laser guided beam, which actually helps out alot.

I was thinking this box....http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png

It'd be for a DB500.

i always cut straight with a circ saw, of course I dont freehand it, I have a 5 ft level and a 3ft, make your mark, measure from the blade to the end of the flat metal part, clamp the level that distance. Straight every time. Acts the same as a table saw except you move the saw not the blade. Just takes longer to clamp up all that stuff. The ;evel acts as a fence like on a table saw. Speaking of if you can afford it grab some pipe clamps.

Could always just use and uncut edge of the mdf as a straight edge as well . Just clamp it down tight and remember to account for the blade gaurd and blade width //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Could always just use and uncut edge of the mdf as a straight edge as well . Just clamp it down tight and remember to account for the blade gaurd and blade width //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i have done that too, any straight edge really, I just dont trust some old peice of wood i find, but I have used wood, angle iron, an old box, whatever

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.