Need help with sub recommendations: SQL, 1000w RMS, ~2.0 cubic ft ported

magictoilet
10+ year member

Hi guys, I had a temp setup of 2 10" idq's in a small sealed box in the back of my g35 (SMALLLLLLLL trunk) and it's time for me to build a box and get a more permanent setup.

I want a SQL woofer to go with my alpine pdx1.1000 amp and I should have enough space for 2.0 cubic feet ported box which I haven't built yet. I'm leaning towards the IDMax or JL W7. The current market prices for IDMaxes are around 200 and the W7 is around 300 and I had a 10W7 in a sealed box and that thing pounded and sounded nice too.

Anyway, what's a good SQL sub around $2-300 that's right for me?

Thanks!!

PS, i have a JL300/4 pushing my alpine type-x components for front stage.

Coupe, the trunk is like 1 foot tall lol. There's always some people selling it for $300-350 on forums and occasionally some on craigslist for 300.

The Xcon needs 1750w RMS and I only have 1k.

I've only heard the W7, type R's, type X's, L5, L7, IDQ's, BTL so how do the havocs compare to the W7 in terms of SQL in a ported box?

ok so you dont know ,ascendant is the same as fi ,but they are the higher end line.the havocs are every nice and loud ,will stomp allover everyone of the woofers you just named and even more ,the sq is top notch and they are rated at 1200 rms , but will take a whole lot more ,should be able to find a used one for 250 -300 shipped or a new one from me for 350 shipped from ascendant direct

No, not even close. The Xcon is at home are far less power then ratted. There is no law that says you need to run at or greater then RMS power.
This is true with just about every sub out there. Not sure how the misconception of needing RMS or more to use a speaker ever came about.

This is true with just about every sub out there. Not sure how the misconception of needing RMS or more to use a speaker ever came about.
Some of the subs rated to take a crapload of power use half a dozen stiff spiders and don't sound very good and are rather inefficient for lower power applications...that being said X-con isn't in that category IMO. Really I would think with a true 1700W you could kill an x-con if you really pushed it. 4" coils can hold that much thermal power almost indefinitely, 3" coils can not.

Most woofers do best when NOT run right up to their limits anyway... like a sports car that can do 250mph, you don't need to always do 250 in it and if you did it wouldn't last long.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.