Need help with my HU install

G-Wiz
10+ year member

Michigan
Ok, I was installing my KDC-X859 (Kenwood Excelon) into my 98' Grand Am GT Sedan... I ran into four problems, 1 of which I fixed...

1. The opening wasn't deep enough so I looked on crutchfield and they said I may need to cut out the center support column.. So I sawed that out and it fit in there ok.. (Fixed)

2. I was wiring up the harnesses and stuff and I had a Remote wire (small blue one) from my DEI 600D amp.. I wasn't sure where to hook it up to so I hooked it into the EXT.AMP.CON The external amp control wire, which was pink and black. The book says "To EXT.AMP.CONT. terminal of the amplifier having an external amp control function. Should I hook this into the blue power antenna wire (which I don't have a power antenna) or should I hook it into the blue/white wire which is the power control wire for "when using the optional power amplifier, connect to its power terminal" Right now, my sub isn't working. I checked the powerline fuse and it isn't blown.

3. I broke the dimmer light switch on the left side of my control pannel to control the overhead light and the dash pannel (At night it is totally black)

4. I was removing my faceplate today and I pulled the HU almost all the way out of the mounting cage, meaning tthat it never locked inplace but when looking at it it looks like it is locked in place.. I don't really awnt to remove my dash again and try to put in another piece for the dash kit, but if maybe I crossed my RCA cables I might have to to get my sub to work.. I am sure I hooked the red into the red and the black RCA into the White Pre Out (I am hooked into the non-fading output, that is correct isn't it?)

If anyone can help me with any of my problems, please let me know.. Thank you

you need to hook the remote wire up into the blue and white wire that you talk about at the end of your second question. The remote wire allows the amplifier to turn on when your headunit turns on, thus your amps aren't needlessly on all the time. Yes the subwoofer amplifier should be connected to the nonfading output on your headunit.

Yeah, I got everything fixed except the dimmer switch, I still havn't gotten a new one..

Thanks.. Everything is f'n awesome and it looks sweet in the dash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.