Need help with home sound system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Microman23

My friend and I have decided to build a sound system for our get togethers. But we don't want just some home theater system. We want to build our own, using car speakers. Our only dilemma is powering them. We thought we could just power it all with car amplifiers if we could convert the power from 110 volts to 12 volts. However, I cannot find the right converter for such a thing. If someone can help me find the right converter or come up with a different idea on how to power everything, please let me know. Thanks!

Well, you see, my friend and I are on a tight budget. And we already have access to the car speakers and amplifiers. Also, I think it would be louder than a home theater system. Plus, music will be the only thing played through the system.

Sell the amps you were gonna use, and swap them for a 2.1 receiver. That will make your life easier, then wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers to 8ohm and do two per side. You will either need a powered sub or additional amp for sub.

Well, you see, my friend and I are on a tight budget. And we already have access to the car speakers and amplifiers. Also, I think it would be louder than a home theater system. Plus, music will be the only thing played through the system.
I would suggest listening to Nismos. Since its music only a 2.1 receiver is perfect because that't what music is.

2 of the loudest sound systems I've heard have been home audio setups. Home audio is designed for large rooms whereas car audio is more suited for a much smaller space. My dad's old analog home theater setup he has from his college days is one of the loudest and has the best SQ of any speaker setup I've heard and its running about 200-300 Watts per channel (Divided into a tweeter, horn, and a woofer).

EDIT: I am also currently living with my uncle and his Polk Audio (their home theater setups) setup is amazingly loud, crisp, and has a super good and loud low end extension.

By the time you bought a 12v power supply large enough, you'd be spending more money on converting the car audio equipment. The speakers and subs are pretty interchangable - amps not quite as much

any car batteries layin around? get a trickle charger from walmart hook it up to the battery, hook the amps up to the battery and get RCA to aux for the ultra ghetto style car audio to home audio re purposing. You'll find out later that a pair of 35 watt dayton bookshelf speakers on a lepai 2 channel x20 watts will be louder and better sounding then your solution.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.