1 In 2 out distribution block question

Fuse is to protect the battery mainly (not the wire) which is why you should have it as close to the battery as possible.

Same goes for the lead coming from the alternator although the alt won't explode if shorted like the battery...

I concur with the above 12" or less from battery or alt. depending on which one you're doing. Almost everyone I know including myself run an inline fuse near the battery the last thing you want is one exploding.

I guess I should add to my earlier statement. The fuse is there for two different scenarios.

1. Your wire gets pinched/cut/etc and shorts directly to ground. In this case you need to protect the power source (battery or alt) so the fuse should be as close to it as possible (to minimize the length of unprotected wire).

2. Your amplifier attempts to draw more current than your wire can handle. In this case you're fusing to protect the wire itself so the fuse size should be the maximum current the wire size can handle safely (or smaller).

The first scenario determines WHERE you should place the fuse (close to the power source) the second scenario determines the actual fuse SIZE (in amps).

It should also be noted when changing wire size you should fuse at the connection (like in a distribution block) as the smaller wire can handle less current and will need a smaller fuse.

Have a fuse at the alternator output and at every battery. Better safe then to watch your whole ride burn to the ground. Seen it happen to a friend that just had a shop in the Bronx install an EQ and amp. We walked out my house and the cars was just in flames. That was sad to see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MerkConvoy501

Senior VIP Member
MerkConvoy501
Conway AR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from