Need help with choosing right speakers

Pmac60

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all, new here and appreciate any feedback! So I drive a 04’ f-150 (newer body) I have a pioneer aftermarket head unit, two 15” Rockford Fosgate P3D4’s, and a Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D amplifier. My stock speakers are blown out/blowing out and this obviously isn’t good for the audio units, let alone the sound quality. I’m not sure which speakers as I’m not extremely knowledgeable on quality/bang for your buck speakers looking for whatever would best fit my setup, but I’ve been looking at PPS4-8 (no tweeter) and the Fosgate PP4-T. I’m open to whatever suggestions for brands, and no price limit necessarily but trying to be reasonable at best! Thank you to whoever takes the time to read, and much thanks to whoever can help!

I say use the same ones you choose for the left speakers...

Believe it or not...I saw a guy with a difft set on the left than the right. I asked why...he said he has more midbass on the right and midrange on the left. He said the reason is his left ear hearing is more muffled than the right, so it sounds the same that way to him.

Wouldnt have noticed if the speakers were hidden, but 4-6.5s on each door...left door has accordian kinda surround, and the right door dang near looks like high excursion subs, not really...but has rolled foam. Speakers also had difft sized dust caps, thats what I saw 1st.

To each their own.

If you roll with the PPS4-8 and the PPT-4 on that 4 channel amp, you can set it up to be an active 2-way setup.
Front being set for the tweeter, and the rear being set for the midbass. I think that will sound pretty good.

If you roll with the PPS4-8 and the PPT-4 on that 4 channel amp, you can set it up to be an active 2-way setup.
Front being set for the tweeter, and the rear being set for the midbass. I think that will sound pretty good.
i honestly never even considered that, lowkey blew my mind. Now since my amp for my subs is a mono and I’d be adding another amp would the amp for my subs mess with the wiring from the speaker amp or would they just bridge closer to the power source and run as one? I wired everything for the subs amp but I had someone tear the seats and lining out of my truck I didn’t wanna fw that, that’s really my only concern when it comes to the wiring. Thanks man been a huge help!

Last edited:
I don't know how much benefit you'll get from this but
I am running a Cerwin vega cvp2500.5d, it's a 5 channel amplifier wired to run 150wrms x4 +500wrms @2ohm to which I have a set of cerwin vega Hed 4x6" fronts and Hed 4x10" rears (mind you I doubt you'll find any use from these as they are direct fitment- size wize- to my truck- a 92 chevy s10 ext. Cab) and a 10" Cerwin vega V104Dv2 running at 2ohm- excellent Sub, very loud and hits very low. Mated to a pioneer Deh-s5200BT H/U. Have had the system 6 months now and had it Db tested and it puts out a respectable 98.8 db. Without any clipping or bottoming out either. I have had nothing but good experiences with either company (cerwin vega and/or Pioneer) and thier lines of equipment. I have also had experience with CV hed 6.5 components and CV Vmax series... What can I say, I like my cerwin vega's, they're always clear sounding, have deep bass and loud- components and Sub.

Now since my amp for my subs is a mono and I’d be adding another amp would the amp for my subs mess with the wiring from the speaker amp or would they just bridge closer to the power source and run as one?

Your sub amp should work just the same.
In short, you would add another amp as if the other one doesn't exist.
Big 3 power cable upgrade.
New wire to battery.
New fuse for amp.
New wire to ground.
New RCAs from HU to Amp.
New wires from amp to speakers.

This would be the more wire running of the 2 amps as you have 4 speakers to this one.
Breeze this addition by an installer and see what he would advise or charge. Going from
blown stock crap to the setup you have been thinking of...that will certainly blow your
mind from the HUGE change in quality and depth.

Pretty certain almost all Ford trucks run the 6x8 speakers all around. JBL Club line has a very nice one if you're not opposed to spending a little. I put some inexpensive Kicker 6x8 components in my F250 this summer and they're pretty decent for the price. I very much like the pod style mounts for the Kicker components though. They work nice up high on the doors.

Either way you'll want to make sure you're crossing them over with high pass filter around 80hz so that you don't break them.

Your sub amp should work just the same.
In short, you would add another amp as if the other one doesn't exist.
Big 3 power cable upgrade.
New wire to battery.
New fuse for amp.
New wire to ground.
New RCAs from HU to Amp.
New wires from amp to speakers.

This would be the more wire running of the 2 amps as you have 4 speakers to this one.
Breeze this addition by an installer and see what he would advise or charge. Going from
blown stock crap to the setup you have been thinking of...that will certainly blow your
mind from the HUGE change in quality and depth.
Sent you a message when you get a chance wanted to pick your brain on what I found, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.