need help with box plans please

Participant count
  • Participant list

btmorris972
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
hey guys im gonna be building my first ported box wed hopefully. right now i have a infinity perfect 10.1 in a small sealed box. im gonna get another sub a new amp and build a ported box to hold 2 subs.

i called crutchfield to find out the displacement of the sub. while we were on the phone he also gave me dimensions for a single sub ported box.

this is what he gave me

inside dimensions

11"X11" for front

14.25" front to back

outside dimensions

12.5 x 12.5 X 15.75

port is 3" diamater and 10.4 inches long.

now if im gonna build a ported box for 2 10s can i just double the dimensions??

infinity recomends the box to be tuned to 35hz and thats what the box above is tuned to.

is 35 hz good for rap?? should i go 37 maybe??

if someone thinks they can come up with a better box let me know how much it will cost.

btw infinity calls for a 1.00ft3 per sub. this includes the subs displacement??

sorry if the questions are stupid i just dont wanna mess up.

thanks in advance.

The manufacturer's recommendations are a pretty sure-way to go if you don't know what to do. While it may not be perfect for the subs, it at least will in no way be a bad enclosure.

I say just go with what he gave you, and tune to 35hz

ok so i just need to double the dimensions above??

so i should end up with 2 ports right??

how would you guys position the subs and ports?

oh yea infinity recomends a subsonic filter for a ported enclosure. so im gonna get this alpine mono sub amp its 600wrms @2 ohm load. it has the subsonic filter built in. its adjustable from off to 15 hz to 30 hz. if i set it to 30 hz i shouldnt have anything to worry about right. the box is gonna be tuned to 35 hz btw.

thanks for your input guys this site is great.

also one of the guys from the forum is gonna help me build the box wed and i will post pics. cause i know how much you guys like pics lol.

ok so i just need to double the dimensions above??
so i should end up with 2 ports right??

how would you guys position the subs and ports?

oh yea infinity recomends a subsonic filter for a ported enclosure. so im gonna get this alpine mono sub amp its 600wrms @2 ohm load. it has the subsonic filter built in. its adjustable from off to 15 hz to 30 hz. if i set it to 30 hz i shouldnt have anything to worry about right. the box is gonna be tuned to 35 hz btw.

thanks for your input guys this site is great.

also one of the guys from the forum is gonna help me build the box wed and i will post pics. cause i know how much you guys like pics lol.
yes, double the dimensions, but keep in mind that you need an internal divider (not necessarily, but I would recommend it). That will add 3/4 of an inch to the width of the box.

set your subsonic to about 25hz

(check out my box that I just built like a week ago) http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104488

ok so i need a solid piece of mdf to seperate the chambers completely right?

oh and with that alpine amp i cant set the ssf to 25 hz its either 15hz 30hz or off.

should i look for another amp or will 30hz be ok?

oh yea does it matter if the subs are on top of the box or on the front of the box??

and if i put the subs on the front i would want my ports to come out of the top right??

once again thx for the help

ok so i need a solid piece of mdf to seperate the chambers completely right?
oh and with that alpine amp i cant set the ssf to 25 hz its either 15hz 30hz or off.

should i look for another amp or will 30hz be ok?

oh yea does it matter if the subs are on top of the box or on the front of the box??

and if i put the subs on the front i would want my ports to come out of the top right??

once again thx for the help
well 30hz is a little high, but it would work allright. Can you get us a link to the amp and how much ur paying for it? maybe we can find a better alternative for cheaper.

Placement of the subs depends on the type of car you have. Most sedans have rear-firing subs and ports, and SUV's and wagons like mine are usually best suited for upward-firing subs and ports. Convertibles are best for down-firing boxes.

ok the amp is a Alpine MRD-M605 it list for 399 on crutchfield but i can get it on ebay for around 240.

i found an audiobohn amp that has a fully adjustable ssf but ide reather stay away from cheaper stuff

can anyone recomend a good amp somewhere around $230-$270 thats between 500 and 800 wats rms at a 2 ohm load.

i also have to have a good ssf.

its the ssf thats limiting what i can buy. i woulda thought that all mono sub amps would have a ssf built in but i guess im wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif .

oh and about the sub and port placement. the guy at crutchfield said that they dont put ports and subs on the same face of the box because it can cause cancelation or something.

sorry im such a noob that i dont know how to link to something

dont flame me

excuse my spelling

also this box is going into a 2000 camry

ok the amp is a Alpine MRD-M605 it list for 399 on crutchfield but i can get it on ebay for around 240.
i found an audiobohn amp that has a fully adjustable ssf but ide reather stay away from cheaper stuff

can anyone recomend a good amp somewhere around $230-$270 thats between 500 and 800 wats rms at a 2 ohm load.

i also have to have a good ssf.

its the ssf thats limiting what i can buy. i woulda thought that all mono sub amps would have a ssf built in but i guess im wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif .

oh and about the sub and port placement. the guy at crutchfield said that they dont put ports and subs on the same face of the box because it can cause cancelation or something.

sorry im such a noob that i dont know how to link to something

dont flame me

excuse my spelling
1. You can get a HiFonics Brutus for around that price brand new, and if you ever feel the need to upgrade, they put out a lot of power at 1 ohm. Not top of the line, but I've heard that theyre good amplifiers.

2. theres no way to tell if a certain configuration will cause cancellation or not. Mine both face the same way and I don't get any... that I know of. It's possible but I don't think it will be a problem.

3. don't apologize for being new. everyone was new at one point.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.