Need help wiring two batteries

Participant count
  • Participant list

unard
10+ year member

florida
I just got my car out of the shop for a new altenater. I am afraid to hook my system back up because i dont have a job and i afford fixing it again. i have 2 batteries. I want to put one in the back. As far as i know all you have to do is run a power from the bat upfront to the power on the bat in the back. ground it(dont know if i can use same ground as amp). then run power wire from amp to the power on the bat in back. should i use the bat ground or an entirely different groundfor the amp? thanks

what are you trying to accomplish with your extra battery? normally if you want to have an extra battery to use while your car is not running you would use a battery isolator which will allow your auxillary battery to chrage when your car is running, but when it is turned off power will only be drawn from your auxillary battery while keeping your main battery under to hood in reserve to start your car.

oh i forgot, another thing is a perko switch, mainly used in marine applications. you have a switch and you can select battery one, two, all, or off. if you select all it will draw from both batteries, one will be drawn from battery one and so on. some guys like this more because they trust the fact that they switched the battery rather than a piece of electronics.

I just want to run both bats and the same time, all the time. I want to have two hooked up. i dont have money for all that fancy stuff. i just want to make sure the amp is ******* up too much juice and make my alt go out again.

You are creating a monster, stop while you are ahead. If your alternator fried because it was been run all the time with too high a demand and it was struggling to charge one battery, how is it suppossed to charge 2 batteries and play the system? Continue on your path based on the little cash flow to do it right and it will turn into a huge bill to continue to fix the things that you are breaking.

wow....thanks.....i just came back in to see if anyone replied. i was in the process of hookin git up now...its was almost done. lol...thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.