Need help tunning my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

KingVoelzow

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 12 inch sub woofer by jbl it’s a 1200 jbl gx series in a ported box running a power acoustik amp to it from Walmart need help on what to set the subsonic at the frequency at the gain at and the bass boost at having issues finding the SWEETSPOT it’s running off a adapter I had installed in my 218 equinox please help

number one priority: just make sure the voltage doesn't go above the rms. so if you have a amp with a bigger rms than subwoofer, set max voltage to subwoofer. If amp is smaller rms than subwoofer, set maximum voltage to amp. v = sqrt of max rms power * total ohms of subwoofer. this will get you maximum voltage. voltage is ac, use voltmeter, and touch positive and negative terminals of subwoofer. BE CAREFUL THO, AC KILLS. DON"T BE STUPID AND TOUCH THOSE TERMINALS WITH BARE HANDS WHILE MUSIC IS PLAYING. I did that once on accident, not fun, long story short... anyways, I usually have a multimeter already attached to my subs (everything insulated, and wrapped with electrical tape) that way I can gauge what value my subs are hitting. Just make sure you don't go above the rms max voltage. if you do, you can get distortion or a fried subwoofer... just keep an eye of your voltmeter when the bass starts hitting hard lmao.

here's my setup:
I have m350 amp sound ordnance class d
dual terminators 400watts rms 12"
impedance: 2 ohms

since amp can only do 350 watts rms, that's my max voltage...

V = sqrt of 350 * 2 ohms
~26volts

easy, now I have my value to NOT go over when my subs are hitting. If I were to increase my volume above 26 volts, clipping could happen. clipping = dc = higher chance cooked subs.

and to really answer your question, when you start fiddling with your amp settings, it may increase voltage quickly and cause harm to subs... like bass boost. try to not touch that because that can potentially ruin your subs lmao, unless you're sure you need it......

hope this helps...

and if im wrong, anybody correct me, im still new to all this, but so far, this works for me!

and if im wrong, anybody correct me, im still new to all this, but so far, this works for me!
Your info is spot on. The issue I assume he is having, is setting the gain on the "adapter". I think he is referring to a passive LOC. I have always set these by ear, but if you know a technical way to do so, it would be beneficial to most users.

I usually set my subsonic filter from 20-30 Hz. Never hear a diffference. Bass boost on amp to zero, bass boost on radio to zero, bass on radio eq to max. Is the adapter a passive Line Output Converter?
It’s a adapter hook into my wire harness under my glove box is all I know. RCA ran to the back of the car remote on a switch. So have all my bass set to zero

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...