Need Help: Suggestions for New Setup

I am really trying to nail down pricing for this stuff for Christmas. Anyone know the best place to buy the Amp, Subs and Head Unit? I need to get a wiring setup for the amp too, but I guess that's about the same price most places.

Thanks. It looks like the sundowns are basically retail price everywhere. On a side note, the vehicle for this system is old, so the front speakers are ancient factory crap. Now with the budget there's no way I can get another amp and quality fronts/high's, so is it worth it to grab a decent of fronts and run them off of radio power until my son can afford to get another amp and better speakers? I just don't know if the radio power and speakers are any better today than they used to be. If so, any suggestions on a pair of fronts that will be ok on radio power and maybe an amp later? The truck is 2001 F150, so I guess the doors are 5x7/6x8.

Is it worth the $$ to even try a new set of fronts on radio power? Or at least until an amp can be bought for it. I am most likely going to go with that Alpine CDE-147BT that was recommended in this thread. I would also be doing the 2 x Sundown SD-2's and the Soundqubed 1200.1 amp, as suggested.

Is it worth the $$ to even try a new set of fronts on radio power? Or at least until an amp can be bought for it. I am most likely going to go with that Alpine CDE-147BT that was recommended in this thread. I would also be doing the 2 x Sundown SD-2's and the Soundqubed 1200.1 amp, as suggested.
It'll be fine if you know how to install properly, making a proper seal, baffle, deaden the doors and get sensitive components. If you have wood working skills, i'd recommend going with 5.25 and 6.5 speakers and making custom baffles for them to fit, With those, you'll have much better choices out there compared to 5x7 and 6x8 crap out there.

Ok, understood. Do any companies make any kind of conversion kit or brackets to adapt something like the 5x7/6x8 into a 5" or 6"? Just curious if there was even a universal bracket. With this kind of application what would you guys recommend speaker-wise?

half inch plywood and a belt sander to get proper angles and such are the norm to adapt circle speakers to oval speaker holes.

some will say use mdf wood - but that melts when it gets wet so...

yes get a good head unit - and power some better co axal speakers in the doors and dash or rear fill off of the headunit for now. see how it goes. i installed a pioneer deck in a buddys work van and put some co ax 6.5 in his rear doors where he had crappy stock blown out 5x8 back there. we had planed to use an small amp to power them - but the new pioneer headunit actually pushes them just fine - nice and loud and crisp for what they are...

so give that a shot

add an amp to them later if you need to - but replace old factory speakers with new co ax for much improved sound even on low rms headunit power.

also i say sealed box is the way to go in a small cab truck. large frequency response - not alot of internal air space inside the cab to have to exite so it wont be disapointing.... vs a sealed box inside some large cabin viechle like a suburban or excursion is alot more internal airspace to have to fill.

glad to see you taking the time to hook the kid up. please ask any questions you have remaning.

ive had good dealings with sonic electronics fyi on pricing as well as fast shipping and large avalability of what i want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.