Need help Subs smoking

Participant count
  • Participant list

Collin815

CarAudio.com Newbie
So when I start up my trucl the head unit comes on the subs have like a kick/bump just once and start smoking with nothing even happening not sure what’s going on I’ve got a kicker 1600 watt amp and 2 kicker L7s never had this problem with any subs not sure what’s going on

Oh, that's not good to hear mate! Firstly, disengage your power fuse or activate circuit breaker. Start from the subwoofer box, first, take subwoofer out, could be wired shorting that caused it to fry. check the impedance with a multimeter to see if it is ok, or shows a total dead output on the multimeter. If the subwoofer is fried, then no use putting it back in. Secondly, check the amplifier, speaker output terminals, not shorting, fray wires touching, Did you fuse your amp or the fuse near battery is the only protection?

Use a test speaker / subwoofer, on the amp output. Engage your battery fuse again and turn your stereo on with the minimal sound but still audible. Check if the amp lights up and turn up a bit to check if the test speaker is working, turn it up bit more to medium level and place your hand on the amp, to see it is warming up quickly. Maybe something has blown inside the amplifier that caused your subwoofer's damage. If it starts to warm up quickly during test then, it is definitely the amplifier. Switch it off and replace the amp with another and see if the problem persists. If your subwoofer gives a reading it could also mean that it has been damaged but not to the point the voice coils are totally fried. I would not advise to use that subwoofer if such is the case.

Hopefully you may have some speaker speakers / amp lying in your shed to help you rectify your issue. Let us know how you go mate!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...