Need Help Picking Next Electrical Upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

nikolas812
10+ year member

My current system is in my signature...

I would like to know what would be the best bang for buck? I have a new Duracell AGM 34 series 55A.H. in the cab. A stock 130amp alternator and a Duralast Gold starting battery up front that is about a year old. Should I Buy A new AGM 31 series 110A.H. battery for the cab and replace the Duralast Gold battery with the 34 series batt? Or get a 200amp alternator? I can't afford to do both at the moment.

I want to get which you ever will help the most now. And then get one or the other later down the road,

Thanks

Nik

At some point I am going to strap another 1500D... But I am getting voltage drop to around 12.0 volts as it is right now. I am going to compete for the first time the weekend after next and I would like to get my voltage up before than. I'm running the 15's at a .5 ohm

Nik

I was just searching the forum and read something about not mixing AGM batteries with regular batteries??? I guess I'm okay since I haven't had any problems with the duracell AGM and DuralastGold wired in parallel???

Nik

At some point I am going to strap another 1500D... But I am getting voltage drop to around 12.0 volts as it is right now. I am going to compete for the first time the weekend after next and I would like to get my voltage up before than. I'm running the 15's at a .5 ohm

Nik
Personally from everything I've read on here, I'd go with the HO alternator, the only issue being that a lot of the HO alternator do not put out much more power at idle than the stock alternator, so it may not help you during competition as you won't be driving around at higher RPMs, if anything just keep that in mind when buying one and make sure you know the HO alternators power curve and what it will be producing at your idle RPMs, good luck at the competition!

Personally from everything I've read on here, I'd go with the HO alternator, the only issue being that a lot of the HO alternator do not put out much more power at idle than the stock alternator, so it may not help you during competition as you won't be driving around at higher RPMs, if anything just keep that in mind when buying one and make sure you know the HO alternators power curve and what it will be producing at your idle RPMs, good luck at the competition!
True but u are allowed to rev to 2k in comps and most good ho alts put out full ouput around that point

Going to a competition will be a good thing for you. You will get to see what people with experience are doing with their electrical systems. It’s not just mixing types of batteries that will hurt your score its mixing brands and sizes that will kill your score along with your alternator. Also you’re right about 2000 RPMs is allowed. Compete for a season or two and you should gain tons of knowledge and have lots of fun.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.