Need help deciding which old school RE Audio sub to use

Participant count
  • Participant list

Topless Stang
10+ year member

Florida
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide which old sub of mine I want to send off for repair so I can reuse it. It will be going into a sealed 1.2 cu ft enclosure in the trunk of my Mustang convertible. I recieved the price quote from fixmyspeaker.com(very decent price) and the prices are basically the same between the two different subs.

My choices are:

1 - RE XXX 18 circa 2003

2 - RE SEXXX 12s circa 2003

I only need one sub, so it's an either or type of thing. The SEXXX had an SE motor w/XXX soft parts & since the XXX soft parts probably aren't what's being used it will revert back to an SE(somewhat). The XXX 18 would be rebasketed into a 12" if I chose to go that route and I could still make use of the glorious XBL^2 tech. What is everyone's thoughts? The sub will be connected to the sub channel of a RF 25 to Life Power1000 and see about 800 or so WRMS @ 1Ohm. Thanks for reading!

you'll be reconing the XXX anyway if you make it a 12. i would use the XXX motor and go with a teampsi recone kit designed for the power level you're running. i bet he could build you a real light efficient cone assembly for that motor.

thats what i'd do if i was only keeping one motor anyway, to allow for future power upgrades or recones. i'm a crazy guy that just likes to recone subs though. if i was keeping both, i'd probably use an se for now and keep the xxx motor in the closet for a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

Thanks guys. I'm not getting rid of anything...just wondered what setup I should go with. I'd be feeding it 800WRMS that's a decent amount of power...not disgusting by some accounts on this board lol. I've been talking to TeamPSI(Dave) and I think I settled on getting 18" XXX busted down to a 12" and using it instead of one of the SeXXXs. When I break down and finally get a beater to drive back and forth to work I'll break my DD9515 out of storage and build a decent sized ported box for that. I'm contemplating getting the SeXXXs reconed at a later date and putting them in my girl's car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.