Need Help deciding what alternator to buy?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DrTre5189
10+ year member

I think my alternator just died. My vehicle has been having a lot of problems. I have a 1000 watt sound system that is not currently hooked up because my Jeep doesn't have enough power to keep it going. Anyways I have been hearing this unusual whistling/ humming noise under the hood of my car. The noise kicks in right after I start the engine and it gets louder as I drive and accelerate. I have a couple of indicator lights that have been coming on lately too. One is the malfunction light, one is a lightning bolt symbol which I think represents my electrical systems. Also my battery light usually comes on when I am driving between my destinations. The past two times I have cranked my Jeep though, the battery light was on right when the vehicle was turned on. Then tonight I came home and turned off the vehicle and then tested it by cranking it back up and it would not start, everything was pretty much dead. So I think I need to buy a high output alternator. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I want to know which alternator I should get and from where? I need something that is of good quality and preferably pretty decent priced. I found this one.

Mean Green High Output Alternator 2007-08 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi

Would that alternator work well or should I check out another brand? Also where can I find these car parts for the cheapest price? I just need advice on what alternator to buy and where from. Thanks

I don't have a hemi engine so that particular alternator would not work, but I found these two on Mean Green's website.
2007 3.7L, 4.7L

2007-05 3.7L(215)

Can somebody tell me what the difference is between those two?
Honestly I wouldn't go with this company. For that kind of cash u could get a mechman,singer,tenney,power basterds, or dc alternator. All are great brands. There are more brands out there. Stay away from iraggi alts. Tenney is very affordable.

Honestly I wouldn't go with this company. For that kind of cash u could get a mechman,singer,tenney,power basterds, or dc alternator. All are great brands. There are more brands out there. Stay away from iraggi alts. Tenney is very affordable.
This exactly why I PM'd him. I knew if I posted here commending Iraggi. That it would just bring on the Hate. mylows10 has an iraggi with 0 issues. And I have had mine for over 6 months with 0 issues. I liked mine so much. I ordered a 2nd alternator from iraggi.

This exactly why I PM'd him. I knew if I posted here commending Iraggi. That it would just bring on the Hate. mylows10 has an iraggi with 0 issues. And I have had mine for over 6 months with 0 issues. I liked mine so much. I ordered a 2nd alternator from iraggi.
my bad not trying to offend anyone at all I have heard that they have been slacking lately I apologize if I offended anyone

my bad not trying to offend anyone at all I have heard that they have been slacking lately I apologize if I offended anyone
Doesn't offend me. And yes. Iraggi had lots of problems about 5 years ago. But Dominick has been nothing but helpful with my situation and my needs. He is even building my new 2nd alt bracket for free with the purchase of the alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.