Wiring amp from stock head unit by splicing speaker wires

Participant count
  • Participant list

imhoffg

So on a jeep forum I'm in some guys were saying you could use line out converters to hook up a small amp to a stock Grand Cherokee head unit that does not have a dedicated sub output.

From my understanding, they are suggesting I cut the speaker wire coming from the deck, and connect it to both the amp, and the door speaker it is dedicated to, basically forming a Y with one end going to amp and one end going to speaker. Will this work?

If so, would I be able to skip the Line Converter and just attach the split speaker wire to the high level input of the amp? Is the RCA low-level converter required for this to work?

I'm looking for audio guy help since the jeep forum is more for gear heads and not techies

If your amp has high level input you won't need a LOC but I don't know what splitting your signal will do to the sound quality of your door speakers. I would try it with the rears and just disconnect them if it doesn't work well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.