Need help choosing an amplifier for 4Ohm speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

carfanatic95

MA
Hi all, I drive a '94 Mitsubishi 3000GT. The stock 21 year old stereo system scks hard and can't handle any bass, even at low volume. As a result I've been doing a ton of research into building a new audio system, and that brought me here. So far these are the parts I have picked out.

Amazon.com : Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System (Pair) : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Alpine SPR-60C Component (Front- Tweeters will go in a spot on the dash)

Amazon.com : ALPINE SPR-69 6X9" 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKERS 300W PEAK / 100W RMS : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Alpine SPR-69 Coaxial (Rear)

Amazon.com : Alpine Swr-843d 8-Inch 1000 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Type R Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

Alpine SWR-843D 8" (Sub- building a custom enclosure out of wood using manufacturer's recommended specs, plan to secure it using Velcro)

Here are the power ratings.

Front Components- 110RMS/330Peak per speaker, 4Ohm, 88dB

Rears- 100RMS/300Peak per speaker, 4Ohm, 90dB

Sub- 350RMS/900Peak 4+4Ohm, 83.5dB

So I have heard that for the best results I need an amp that will provide around 75% peak power to each channel. Obviously I will need an amp that is 4Ohms. This would mean that I would need an amp that gives around 225W per channel, but then what about the sub? Would I be better off getting a single powerful, 5 channel amp to power all of these speakers? Or should I get a weaker 4 channel amp for the speakers and a mono amp for the sub? I believe the sub has dual voice coils, so would I need a two channel amp for that or can I run it off a mono? Lastly, what gauge wire should I use? I have a good amount of room between my car's rear seats and trunk area (not enough for a sub), so I should be able to comfortably fit two amps if need be. I heave heard good things about Alpine, so I would prefer to stick with them but if there is something much better for less money I will consider it.

I have not done any research into head units yet, I don't need anything fancy like Bluetooth. All I need is an audio in port (3.5mm) so any recommendations would be great. If anyone sees a problem with the parts I have selected this far please let me know.

Thank you for any help.

Forgot to add my music preferences and budget. I listen to hip hop, rock, occasionally metal and reggae once in a blue moon. Never radio, always Spotify via my phone. I can spend as much money as I need to, but I would prefer to keep it under $750 or so excluding the HU. I don't need a crazy loud system because my car's cabin is pretty small, and I value sound quality over volume.

After a bit more research, if I don't end up getting the parts listed above, then I'm going to go with the following:

Infinity 6030cs 90RMS/270Peak 2Ohm Components

Infinity 9632cf 100RMS/300Peak 2Ohm Coaxial

Rockford Fosgate P3D210 10" Sub, 400RMS/800Peak 2Ohm

I'm kind of leaning toward this setup as it's a bit less money and I have heard several times that Infinity speakers are unrivaled in quality. Any amp recommendations for this setup would be appreciated, thanks again.

Okay I know this is turning into a wall of text, if you've made it this far thanks for your patience. After a bit more looking around, would a Pioneer GM-D8604 amp work with the listed Infinity speakers? It claims 150Wx4 when on 2Ohms. I would need a separate amp for the sub but I'm sure that won't be a problem. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D8604

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I drive a '94 Mitsubishi 3000GT. The stock 21 year old stereo system scks hard and can't handle any bass, even at low volume. As a result I've been doing a ton of research into building a new audio system, and that brought me here. So far these are the parts I have picked out.
Amazon.com : Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System (Pair) : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Alpine SPR-60C Component (Front- Tweeters will go in a spot on the dash)

Amazon.com : ALPINE SPR-69 6X9" 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKERS 300W PEAK / 100W RMS : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Alpine SPR-69 Coaxial (Rear)

Amazon.com : Alpine Swr-843d 8-Inch 1000 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Type R Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

Alpine SWR-843D 8" (Sub- building a custom enclosure out of wood using manufacturer's recommended specs, plan to secure it using Velcro)

Here are the power ratings.

Front Components- 110RMS/330Peak per speaker, 4Ohm, 88dB

Rears- 100RMS/300Peak per speaker, 4Ohm, 90dB

Sub- 350RMS/900Peak 4+4Ohm, 83.5dB

So I have heard that for the best results I need an amp that will provide around 75% peak power to each channel. Obviously I will need an amp that is 4Ohms. This would mean that I would need an amp that gives around 225W per channel, but then what about the sub? Would I be better off getting a single powerful, 5 channel amp to power all of these speakers? Or should I get a weaker 4 channel amp for the speakers and a mono amp for the sub? I believe the sub has dual voice coils, so would I need a two channel amp for that or can I run it off a mono? Lastly, what gauge wire should I use? I have a good amount of room between my car's rear seats and trunk area (not enough for a sub), so I should be able to comfortably fit two amps if need be. I heave heard good things about Alpine, so I would prefer to stick with them but if there is something much better for less money I will consider it.

I have not done any research into head units yet, I don't need anything fancy like Bluetooth. All I need is an audio in port (3.5mm) so any recommendations would be great. If anyone sees a problem with the parts I have selected this far please let me know.

Thank you for any help.

Forgot to add my music preferences and budget. I listen to hip hop, rock, occasionally metal and reggae once in a blue moon. Never radio, always Spotify via my phone. I can spend as much money as I need to, but I would prefer to keep it under $750 or so excluding the HU. I don't need a crazy loud system because my car's cabin is pretty small, and I value sound quality over volume.

After a bit more research, if I don't end up getting the parts listed above, then I'm going to go with the following:

Infinity 6030cs 90RMS/270Peak 2Ohm Components

Infinity 9632cf 100RMS/300Peak 2Ohm Coaxial

Rockford Fosgate P3D210 10" Sub, 400RMS/800Peak 2Ohm

I'm kind of leaning toward this setup as it's a bit less money and I have heard several times that Infinity speakers are unrivaled in quality. Any amp recommendations for this setup would be appreciated, thanks again.
Is there a reason for going same brands? There are more options out there if you're willing to switch up brands, which we all do, because no company makes all great stuff.

Whoever told you to go with 75% of peak power is wrong. Generally, it is best to go with the RMS rating. Some speakers can handle more than RMS, especially with music. However, going with the RMS rating is more accurate than peak rating.

There are lots of 6.5" components set out there and I haven't used enough to recommend one, though I'd look at Image Dynamics over Alpine and Infinity. I'm going to recommend this T3 Audio T69C 6" x 9" Coaxial Speaker Pair for 6x9. I think they are decent and will get the job done, especially for the price. I don't put an emphasis on rear speakers because it won't do anything for SQ. I suggest a good 5 channel amp for all of this, I think PPI makes a decent one in the Phantom line, I could be wrong though. As far as subs go, think more about what you will do for a box and try not to get a prefab. It will work, i've used them, but not the best way to go.

Lastly, I know you said you've done research, but from what I see, it's not enough. Spend more time with the search button on this forum or other car audio forums. You'll find the answers even better that way. Best of luck with the system.

btw, if you want to save money, it doesn't hurt to buy from members on here in the classifieds. Just make sure you buy from someone with good feedback. Like me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to keep reading, maybe not any more tonight because my eyes hurt already but I will figure out everything I need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.