Need help choosing a replacement sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

kero48

The World Is Flat
NY
My infinity basslink took a crap on me. After some researching what do you think would be a better option for varied music.

Surprisingly the infinity basslink was a decent unit for my needs but won't buy another as they crap out after a year or two. Very common problem.

I'm leaning towards (1) sundown E10v2 in a ported enclosure or (2) infinity 860w's in a ported enclosure. A friend of mine has two 8's in a ported enclsoure and sounded pretty good so thats where I got that idea from.

keep in mind I need to get an amp since the basslink had one built in.

Will be going in a 2000 subaru 2.5rs sedan, in the trunk. Have a pioneer H/U, older model but works fine for my needs. Have pioneer 6.5's in the front doors and rear deak.

Thoughts/opinions.

Also, not amp savey so not sure what amps would be good for either option above in terms of brand and quality.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on a tight budget so was thinking a 10" would be a little less money. I then have to get an enclosure, most likely built from one of the fabricators on this forum vs prefab and then an amp.

The basslink for a 10" was surprisingly deep but it did have a passive radiator and was only 200rms.

Going up to a 12", more $$ for the sub, more $$ for the enclosure (I think, not sure) and I assume a more powerful amp.

I am really a noob when it comes to subs hence needing advice.

I'm trying to stay under $300 give or take.

Thanks, any other amp options. That amp shows discont'd on crutchfield. Are all 500rms amps in that price range give or take?

The more I read the more confused I get as to a suitable replacement for the basslink. There are so many options and variables to consider.

I do know for sure that I want a ported replacement.

My buddy has a spare sa-8 the he willing to send my way. Sent out for some quotes on a built enclosure to see where the pricing falls. I read an sa-8 in the right box does pretty darn well.

Am I overthinking this or on the right track?

So, a buddy of mine is holding an sa-8 for me. Working on getting quotes for a built ported enclosure. Same buddy might have an amp for me as well.

Gonna go this route most likely for the time being and see what the little beast can do. From all the reading, I think it will def be a nice setup and be equal or better than the infinity basslink that crapped out.

Thanks gents, I have gone to that site (sonic) quite often lately to look at a bunch of things. They def have a large selection of amps but I might not need one at this point. I signed up for their newletter with sales and promos. Seems like they are always running some type of sale.

So for now, I think things are moving along nicely. Will update as things come together //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Crutchfield is way over priced.... Amazon or Ebay
Crutchfield has it's pros though...free install kits with head units. Priced separately you may or may not save a few bucks but more often than not I find it costs the same or less through Crutchfield. That's HU's though. Amps and speakers/subs, yeah, get them somewhere else. They shipped free and fast and have a good return policy too. And they can be very helpful on the phone...I've needed help a couple times and they were great. Try calling Amazon to help you figure why your newly installed HU isn't sending music to the speakers...lol That's all I buy from there though and once you have an install kit for your vehicle then I don't even buy from them, but it seems whenever I get a new car, I get a new HU. I'm shopping for one now for my new Subaru I got today.

^^ Cool on the subaru, here's mine below, old school baby!! GC's kick ***!

She's a 2000 with 108K on the clock right now, super low mileage considering it's now 15 years old.

Took of the spoiler for a cleaner look and better rear visibility.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.