Need expert advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

dcmaidens

I've narrowed in on four double din units I am interested in. Can you please give me advice and opinions on which one is the best choice? I want to build a budget high sound quality system. I would like to start with a great double din head unit, but I don't need an AV unit.

The units are:

Sony WX-GT90BT

Clarion CX501

Kenwood DPX500BT

JVC KW-R900BT

Thanks for the help.

Any of those units should sound good in a controlled environment. The Sony unit has the most powerful EQ, but it's still lacking in tuning features.

Any of those units should sound good in a controlled environment. The Sony unit has the most powerful EQ, but it's still lacking in tuning features.
That's what I was thinking too. I would prefer a higher voltage though. I don't know if the Clarion has a 24 bit DAC, and I am leery about JVC. The Kenwood seems nice too.

I am shocked that not a single manufacturer, besides JVC, has a feature packed double din unit - that isn't an a/v unit. I would think with the added real-estate and not dealing with video, touch-screen, even eliminating the CD component, would allow the manufacturers an excellent opportunity to stuff in great components. I want a double din so I don't have that stupid useless pocket underneath.

Is there a way to increase voltage from a head-unit? If so, and I go with the Sony, what could I add-on to make that deck superb?

For any of these units you could add on a full-featured DSP. I used the Clarion CX501 with a JBL MS-8. As a basic CD transport it sounds excellent. The addition of aux, USB, and Bluetooth are very useful and the quality is good with those features as well.

I don't find it necessary for pre-out voltage to be any higher than 4V. You can bump it higher with a line driver, but I don't recommend it as it's not necessary.

JVC has been doing very well recently with their head units. I keep hearing great things about them. The same goes for Kenwood and Sony.

That JVC is a step up from what I have and I'm satisfied with mine. I added external EQ though cuz I only have 3 bands on the HU. I like the multi color display and front USB and AUX connectors. They also have a 24 bit DAC but I think most decks do nowadays.

I agree with ya though, there should be high end SQ double DINs without the AV stuff. So many OEM dashes use DDIN.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.