Need advice on upgrading speakers

pd1dish
10+ year member

Hey guys, I just bought a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I love everything about the car except for the fact that it has a weak sound system, the Infinity 360-watt "Premium" system. I understand its a stock system, but I still paid extra to have this system and it *****...

Anyways, I wanted to upgrade my system but I'm not willing to spend more than $500 when its all said and done (speakers, amp, install..no subs). I went to my local car audio distributor and was hoping they would tell me the stock speakers can be improved with just an amp, but they said i would most likely spend $200-300 on an amp and hardly notice a difference.

they ended up recommending a set of Rockford Fosgate speakers and amp, but I know they tend to be way overpriced and equal quality can be found for less, so I just wanted to know what you guys thought. thanks

PS

Im not trying to wake up the neighborhood like when i had a RF punch amp with 2 12" subs haha i just want a louder, better sounding system, nothing crazy

There are talented people who may be able to deliver what you would consider a real improvement to your Infinity system for no more than $500, but they do their own installations. For this budget I recommend you start on one aspect to improve and not expect to get speakers, an amplifier, and professional installation all for $500. New speakers probably will require adapters to fit your vehicle, and you almost certainly need to address the acoustics of at least the front doors to get better sound. I want to get some feedback before I continue.

hey trumpet, thanks for the quick response. anyways, i ended up calling my local car audio store back so i could get the product #'s of the speakers they were trying to sell me.

Rockford Fosgate Front Component speakers P165-S --- $199.99

Rockford Fosgate Rear speakers P165 --- $99

Rockford Fosgate Amp P400x4 --- $349.99

Amazon has the amp for $195 so if I end up going this route then I guess Im just going to try and find everything cheaper online. But like i said before, I feel like I can find equal value for less if I get a different brand

Edit: I was also able to find the component speakers/tweeters for only $95 on Amazon as well, so this is probably the route i will end up taking. I know its kind of a stupid question but is there a wiring kit you could recommend? I dont want to pay full price at my local store and im new to all this when it comes to speaker replacement so im not sure what im looking for.

hey trumpet, thanks for the quick response. anyways, i ended up calling my local car audio store back so i could get the product #'s of the speakers they were trying to sell me.
Rockford Fosgate Front Component speakers P165-S --- $199.99

Rockford Fosgate Rear speakers P165 --- $99

Rockford Fosgate Amp P400x4 --- $349.99

Amazon has the amp for $195 so if I end up going this route then I guess Im just going to try and find everything cheaper online. But like i said before, I feel like I can find equal value for less if I get a different brand
Amazon has the 165s for $100 less also. I wouldn't touch Rockford even more there bottom line. If you want good cheap look at alpine and JBL.

Amazon has the 165s for $100 less also. I wouldn't touch Rockford even more there bottom line. If you want good cheap look at alpine and JBL.
yeah, after i found the amp i was able to find those as well, so amazon is definitely the way ill go when i do make a purchase. when it comes to looking at other brands, i want to make sure that the speakers/amp i buy are a significant step up from my current system, which is why i posted here because, tbh, outside of the size speaker size i need (6-1/2"), i have no idea what im looking for when browsing speakers and amps.

Ok, so after reading a lot of reviews and listening to your guys' input, Ive decided to go with the Alpine SPR-60C component speakers. Now I just need to find an amp and I think I'm all set. Do I stick with the Rockford p400x4 amp?

For the instal kit I would go with knukonceptz you can get the 8 gauge kit for $20-30. Also I would go with something like the soundqubed q4-90 it is only $30 more and 40watts more per channel

Ok, so after reading a lot of reviews and listening to your guys' input, Ive decided to go with the Alpine SPR-60C component speakers. Now I just need to find an amp and I think I'm all set. Do I stick with the Rockford p400x4 amp?
you can stick with it if you want amazon has it for 200$ not 350

The other alternatives are a lot better for the money. A soundqubed 90.4 is good too. 50 x 4 even if its a little bit underrated for 200 dollars is too steep. The other options mentioned are underrated too and are built like tanks.

Why don't you start with door treatment

Find your mommy's old blanket cut it up and stuff it in the doors.

It's free and will make difference. Then you can see what your up against before you spent your lunch money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.