Need advice on new system (already have a JL 500/1 but need a sub to match it)

systemJLx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
i already got two JL 12w3v3's, but i can't put them in my car at the moment. my parents hate bass, so to keep the story short, my subs are sitting at home not being used.

anyways, i got my JL 500/1 amp still and the appropriate wires. i basically need to "re-buy" some subs for my car. i definitely want to stick with JL tho, and am trying to keep the budget to like $400 or less. should i buy new or used? i looked on craigslist, but you never really know the full story behind a pair of used subs, and to how good they were taken care of, so i'm thinking of probably just buying new at a store, that way i at least get a year warranty on them.

before i had a SUV, but now i'm in a car. 2010 malibu. the back seats do fold down (so not sure if i should go with ported or sealed?), but also not sure if it's worth having my back seats folded down all the time?. I had ported previously in my suv, and was very pleased with how hard my subs hit, but i really like lows as well, and if a sealed box will give me significantly better SQ without decreasing efficiency as much, then i might go sealed.. thoughts?

now for the subwoofer, i know i wanna stick with JL (yes i know they are overpriced, and all, but i really love the way JL sounds, and dont wanna do anything else). i definitely don't want something too big either, as it will need to be pulled out if my parents come to town or if i have to make a trip home, and it needs to be somewhat concealable. not super concealable, but i was kind of thinking of just getting 1 subwoofer this time. i was thinking maybe a w6 or w7, but those might be too expensive. the guy at the store was able to do a deal on a 10in w7 w/ a ported inclosure for about $668, but this is kind of over my budget, but if it's a really good deal then i might try to save up some more money for it

the only thing that's keeping me from just buying one 12w3v3 is that i already have 2 of those at home, but i guess if i wanted to i could combine all 3 in a future install. it would be kind of neat tho to test out a different driver to see how it performs.

one last thing: the install. should i try to install it myself by looking up everything online? or is it a lot of hastle installing everything to the factory head unit?

oh and one more thing. the guy at the store said i could possibly buy a small JL amp for my factory speakers, and he said that it would improve the performance by giving me more control over them, that way i could turn them up louder and they would be clearer without blowing them, cuz right now they aren't super clear and crisp when turned up loud. i just wanna make sure that i'm not gonna blow them with the added amp.

thx in advance for any advice and tips, and sorry for the long read. just tryin to lay out the whole situation so yall can try to see where i'm getting at. my last system was super loud, and technically i don't really need as much bass as i had, so any ways to save money would be appreciated.

after searching a little more, i've decided to eliminate the 8w7 from the options, as it's not going to produce the type of bass that i'm looking for. so it's probably between both the 10w6, the 10w7 (depending on if i can get those prices lowered a little), and the 12w3v3.

before i had two 12w3v3's running off a 500/1 amp, but approximately how close would one 12w3v3 perform running on a 500/1 amp all by itself? like how close of a performance would that be able to produce to what i previously had?

i am trying to understand the logic in this story

you got subs , you do not want to use , you parents don't like bass,

making very little sense

use the subs you have , turn your bass down when your folks are within hearing range, take a portion of the $400 to get your jl 12 installed

this makes sense money wise, parent wise

were in florida are you i will gladly help you pull the wool over your parents eyes

To be honest, you need to shorten what you wrote. Not many people are going to read that, including me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

ok ima try and shorten my Original post.

i can't use the subs i have at home, because they need to be sitting there so that my parents think i don't have bass in my car. it was part of the deal of getting a new car. i live away at college 99% of the time, so i basically just need something to get by for now, which is why i may be leaning toward just one 12w3v3. looking on the JL website, i see they have HO box that might be decent? does anyone know if the HO boxes make much of a difference?

also, i do believe there may be better products for a cheaper price, but i was very pleased with my previous JL subs. i literally pounded the **** out of those, and they are in perfect condition still. i would be interested in checking out some other cheaper possibilities, but there is still an 80% chance i'll probably end up going with JL, but i'm always open to options.

ok ima try and shorten my Original post.
i can't use the subs i have at home, because they need to be sitting there so that my parents think i don't have bass in my car. it was part of the deal of getting a new car. i live away at college 99% of the time, so i basically just need something to get by for now, which is why i may be leaning toward just one 12w3v3. looking on the JL website, i see they have HO box that might be decent? does anyone know if the HO boxes make much of a difference?

also, i do believe there may be better products for a cheaper price, but i was very pleased with my previous JL subs. i literally pounded the **** out of those, and they are in perfect condition still. i would be interested in checking out some other cheaper possibilities, but there is still an 80% chance i'll probably end up going with JL, but i'm always open to options.
Ok, don't go with JL. Please. I would recommend you building your own box, or getting a custom box made to fit what you want your sub to sound like. Saying that, what subwoofer amp do you have so I can recommend you a sub?

Ok, don't go with JL. Please. I would recommend you building your own box, or getting a custom box made to fit what you want your sub to sound like. Saying that, what subwoofer amp do you have so I can recommend you a sub?
if you read my original post, or even the title, you would notice that i have a JL 500/1 amp lol. no worries i overlook **** all the time.

it's a v1 amp btw, not the newer v2 if that makes a difference

what Buck said

we were trying to make sense out of , well your original rant

understood the subs need to remain there to fool your parents that i understand i was once young to , a long time ago

might want to buy 2 blown 12 dirt cheap than switch the good ones out

listen to Buck he will take you were you are wanting to go

what Buck said
we were trying to make sense out of , well your original rant

understood the subs need to remain there to fool your parents that i understand i was once young to , a long time ago

might want to buy 2 blown 12 dirt cheap than switch the good ones out

listen to Buck he will take you were you are wanting to go
wow. that is actually such a good idea i dont know why i didn't think of it. that could definitely be a possibility. altho i won't be making the trip home again til christmas. i actually thought of taking just one out and hoping they wouldn't notice, but never even thought about potentially buying a blown one to replace it. that is an excellent idea tho.

if you read my original post, or even the title, you would notice that i have a JL 500/1 amp lol. no worries i overlook **** all the time.
it's a v1 amp btw, not the newer v2 if that makes a difference
Ya last night was a loooong night. Anyways, I think the JL 500/1 is a good amp. 1 ohm stable correct? And will you tell me again exactly what kind of bass you want to have and what music you listen too?

Ya last night was a loooong night. Anyways, I think the JL 500/1 is a good amp. 1 ohm stable correct? And will you tell me again exactly what kind of bass you want to have and what music you listen too?
i want nice, low, clean bass. i listen to rap, rock, dubstep, trance, and a very small amount of country.

also not sure about the ohm's. i'm kind of clueless on the ohm's, but did a little research on it, but it's still kind of complicated looking depending on how you route your wires.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.