Need advice on my audio system setup, not getting much power from my sub

17tusol4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 13, 2021
Oregon
Good afternoon, I have a earthquake subzero 10 inch 1,500 watt sub with a 1,600 watt kicker amp connected to it and I am running a 1,400 watt cable wire, I am not getting much power out of the sub, not sure if it's because of the low wire wattage or if I need to get a stronger amp, could you give me some advice of what the problem could be and how I can fix it or make it better, thanks

Running a 4 gauge copper cable from car battery to a kicker cxa800.1 amp

And from the amp I'm running a 12 gauge wire to the subwoofer both are aluminum wires

plug

10+ year member
Oct 3, 2005
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Looks like that amp puts out 600 watts at 2 ohms which is what your sub can be configured for. I would get a higher power amp. You can run 1200 watts or so on your 4 gauge.

Reactions: 17tusol4

17tusol4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 13, 2021
Oregon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like that amp puts out 600 watts at 2 ohms which is what your sub can be configured for. I would get a higher power amp. You can run 1200 watts or so on your 4 gauge.
What amp would you recommend? 3000 watt?

plug

10+ year member
Oct 3, 2005
Phoenix, AZ, USA
What amp would you recommend? 3000 watt?
3,000 will require an electrical upgrade and much bigger wire. You could get something like a 1500-1750 watt amp to have a little headroom. I bet you can push that sub a little harder than RMS. Put some power on that baby.

Reactions: 17tusol4

17tusol4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 13, 2021
Oregon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3,000 will require an electrical upgrade and much bigger wire. You could get something like a 1500-1750 watt amp to have a little headroom. I bet you can push that sub a little harder than RMS. Put some power on that baby.
Could I get a 2500 watt amp if I get a capacitor if so what kind do you recommend?

Louisiana_CRX

dem shoes......
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 22, 2006
Piney Hills of Louisiana
If you go proper size box ported and properly load the port it will be twice as loud on your setup...night and day difference on your bass

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I’d look for no more than a 1000 watt amp, but it must put out 1000 @ 2 ohms RMS. Don’t even look at “peak” or “max” wattage. And as suggested by @Louisiana_CRX , if you want max output, a ported box is the way to go.

Louisiana_CRX

dem shoes......
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 22, 2006
Piney Hills of Louisiana
I agree with CRX. Everything seems perfectly matched so best step is a ported box.View attachment 25940
The #3 slot style with port in rear coming out the side instead of front ... so port can load about 8"s off the side ...would be perfect ....Sub would need to be mounted as close to edge as possible not center of enclosure over top of the port opening ....giving sound wave longest path of travel ..

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
If you are building a ported box mount sub facing up and port firing to the side and set the box either angling the port into a rear corner or all the way back to the lift gate. I have done extensive testing in that style Jeep and that orientation works best. Close second is sub and port both firing up, also box all the way to the back.

One of my Jeeps liked to peak at 54hz and my current one always peaks around 43hz. 54hz is more likely though, I still haven't got a good theory as to why my current one peaks so low.

Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
If you are building a ported box mount sub facing up and port firing to the side and set the box either angling the port into a rear corner or all the way back to the lift gate. I have done extensive testing in that style Jeep and that orientation works best. Close second is sub and port both firing up, also box all the way to the back.

One of my Jeeps liked to peak at 54hz and my current one always peaks around 43hz. 54hz is more likely though, I still haven't got a good theory as to why my current one peaks so low.
I didn't know that! We had an 89 Cherokee that made a lot of boxes for, not for testing but showing off.

Port back subs up always worked well for us in it. We never tried port to the side.

OP if you need a box design, or want one, I can do one for you. We can try out hispls advice as well and maybe side fire.

@hispls, that is a great idea to side fire a port with the box all the way against the hatch. I've done a ton of side firing in trucks and trunks, but not quite as much in a SUV.

All downfiring also works well if you're space limited on where you can put the box.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I didn't know that! We had an 89 Cherokee that made a lot of boxes for, not for testing but showing off.

Port back subs up always worked well for us in it. We never tried port to the side.

OP if you need a box design, or want one, I can do one for you. We can try out hispls advice as well and maybe side fire.

@hispls, that is a great idea to side fire a port with the box all the way against the hatch. I've done a ton of side firing in trucks and trunks, but not quite as much in a SUV.

All downfiring also works well if you're space limited on where you can put the box.
I'm talking very specifically about 95-99 Grand Cherokee. You will need to do your own testing/metering to determine best tune and orientation for other styles, but since OP has the exact same body style as my previous and current Jeep I figured I'd save him some work in testing everything. In fact I will also say that when I burped rotating the box some to angle the port directly into the driver's side corner metered best when I did single sub box. If you're chasing 10ths you'll need to just keep trying different angles and distances from the corner to see what's optimum. Best to use masking tape on the floor to mark where the corner will set and you can pencil in your numbers on the tape to analyze data and/or repeat positions/tests to double check your results.

All my attempts to port back/central were weak performers though not as bad as subs/port forward. Don't aim anything forward in these Jeeps, though I've been told by reliable sources that it works in some vehicles.

I have not downfired subs in ages but as far as playing music it always worked well for me. I doubt it would be best on the meter but only testing could confirm.

Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I'm talking very specifically about 95-99 Grand Cherokee. You will need to do your own testing/metering to determine best tune and orientation for other styles, but since OP has the exact same body style as my previous and current Jeep I figured I'd save him some work in testing everything. In fact I will also say that when I burped rotating the box some to angle the port directly into the driver's side corner metered best when I did single sub box. If you're chasing 10ths you'll need to just keep trying different angles and distances from the corner to see what's optimum. Best to use masking tape on the floor to mark where the corner will set and you can pencil in your numbers on the tape to analyze data and/or repeat positions/tests to double check your results.

All my attempts to port back/central were weak performers though not as bad as subs/port forward. Don't aim anything forward in these Jeeps, though I've been told by reliable sources that it works in some vehicles.

I have not downfired subs in ages but as far as playing music it always worked well for me. I doubt it would be best on the meter but only testing could confirm.
Yeah I see what you mean more now. Downfiring is good for music when you can't use your whole cargo area space for sub and port orientation, in my experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds